• Yes

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • No

Votes: 19 90.5%
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Fishing is not about fishing anymore. For many. More about look at me, look at my wardrobe, look at my dumbass hat, look at my YouTube videos, look at my boat I have to sell during the next recession, look at my wife that contains more artificial bait than my tackle bag. Oh sorry. Merry Christmas.
Drone could be useful as another way to piss people off.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Fishing is not about fishing anymore. For many. More about look at me, look at my wardrobe, look at my dumbass hat, look at my YouTube videos, look at my boat I have to sell during the next recession, look at my wife that contains more artificial bait than my tackle bag. Oh sorry. Merry Christmas.
Drone could be useful as another way to piss people off.
Don’t forget the beard.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,718 Posts
I love some of the photos and video I see taken from drones, but personally I would not use it as an aid to fishing. And, I believe they are illegal to operate in the National Parks, maybe in the State Parks too.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Haven't heard a word about them being illegal in the Park - but then folks that run the Park don't tell us much of anything... I've been a permitted guide there now for about 23 years and that's been my experience (including current events - is the Park or isn't going to close? Put on your Sherlock hat and do a bit of asking around to find out....).

I've had one angler bring a drone on board my skiff - and I was impressed at how it worked, etc. I wouldn't mind having a few aerial shots of big fish on the line - but then I'd have to have someone else doing it... Me, I'm just too busy to fool with one out on the water...

I do note that some of the best fishing shows (the few around...) do seem to be using drones to highlight this or that - but once again - whoever's operating the drone won't be doing any fishing....

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
And the drone shadow that always pops up! That’s even showing up on discovery shows. Lame! Don’t get me wrong. I would not mind some video to go along with my pictures to look back on. But to use it as a normal fishing tool. No way.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,484 Posts
I know a couple of guys that use them. One of the guys likes to make fishing videos and the other guy uses it for scouting. Some of the footage from the latter guy gets posted to help him advertise his guide business. Both have a "camera guy" to fly the drone while they fish or they are staked out somewhere doing some aerial scouting. Personally, I find myself going more and more simple while I'm on the water. Even on my boat, I'm walk in wade fishing simple as far as gear goes.

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone who uses a drone to look for fish is not a sportsman in my opinion.
Agreed.

I should have phrased my question differently.

What about using a camera drone for scouting new areas, creeks, lakes, or bayous for sand bars, rocks, oyster bars, honey holes, other boats, duck blinds/decoys, 420, whatever?

Kind of like a real time Google Earth.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
12,025 Posts
Agreed.

I should have phrased my question differently.

What about using a camera drone for scouting new areas, creeks, lakes, or bayous for sand bars, rocks, oyster bars, honey holes, other boats, duck blinds/decoys, 420, whatever?

Kind of like a real time Google Earth.
What’s wrong with exploring with your boat?

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
What’s wrong with exploring with your boat?
Too many rocks, so little time.

Even with the best tunnel boat you can't run over the ribbon rocks that stick up 6" above everything else around here. And hitting them while holding on to a mud motor tiller doesn't feel too good either.

FMT marks "Airboat Only" on almost all the black tracks they show around here, but even the airboat guys won't run them on low tide. And they don't have ALL the rock bars marked. There's just too many.

Aerial reconaisence is the safest way.

This pic is on a low winter tide day. Around 18" below a normal low tide. Having a video recording of where the rocks are would be money. Much less than a tow and replacement lower unit.
IMG_0662.JPG

This pic is from last Thursday when the gale force West winds pushed the water 2' above normal high tide. Since there's really not a ramp you can launch/load from under those conditions it wouldn't be helpful for fishing.

56711290885__B9A030C7-33B9-44AB-9192-90DAA3C2FDE6.JPG

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is a camera drone worth having for flats fishing?
I would have to say, No. I sold my 22’ Bay Boat for an ECC 18’ Fury to simplify my fishing experience. In my opinion drones only complicate matters and take the sport out of locating and stalking fish if used as an overhead scouting device.
They are cool for fishing shows to capture footage of landing fish but I agree with others operating a drone takes time away from fishing.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,207 Posts
Here’s a question: What’s worse using deer feed and a rifle or using a drone to find fish?

I’ve heard drones have changed the game for Cobia fishing off the beach. They run one drone one way and one another until they find fish. Drones are the new age towers. Both ugly IMHO

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
While I understand the sentiment (and I dont use my drone for scouting) just be careful of chastising those who do as unsporting.

Are sonar units unsporting?
Are GPS units unsporting?
Are graphite rods unsporting?
Are scented baits unsporting?

I could go on but I think you get the point.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts