Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Calling shots - How do you do it?

5K views 60 replies 35 participants last post by  Tceva 
#1 ·
I’ve struggled with the communication of calling shots while sight fishing with most folks I’ve had up front. I start with an explanation, followed by them demonstrating a cast based on my call, and then adapt from there. I‘ve always tried to base the clock from the caster‘s spot on the bow, but never really considered it. I bought the below 1. as a pad to set the pole on quietly 2. To cover up a ding and 3. To give visual reference of ”the clock”. I’ve yet to test it with a live subject, but it looks to me that one of the issues I’ve had in the past is the reference of the clock location. I’m planning on just using this as the reference and moving on, but wondering how folks are calling shots with consistent success.

Grille Hood Water Motor vehicle Vehicle

See less See more
#5 ·
Biggest problem I see is that one persons 40ft can be another persons 60ft. You can ask up front for them to cast 40ft so you can base your calling distance off that.

12 o’clock is the bow point always, but some people assume it’s where they are looking. No way to fix that other than correcting them. We all get buck fever and blow it sometimes though

#16 ·
I use this and it works pretty well for the guys I fish with. Usually they point their rod in the direction that is called out via the clock then "left, right, up, down" is used for them to find the fish with the rod tip before starting a cast. I think knowing exactly where the angler is looking is key in making the corrections so they can find the fish. Disclaimer, most of the guys I fish with fish a good bit so that could be the main reason it seems to work well.

#9 ·
I start the day with show me your 2 o’clock (points rod) ok now 10 o’clock (points rod). Then we see what distance the angler is comfortable at and I have them cast to a distance, we will say 60’ as an example. Then I make the adjustments based on what the anglers view of time and distance is and go from there. For me it always has been easier to adjust to how they view it rather than them try to adjust to what I see as 60’. It is also a bit of a moving target and getting them to understand small movements from left to right of I call a time and then say “little left”, some want to go from 1 to 4 and it becomes an over correct game back and forth if we don’t get all that out of the way first thing. It is always easier to pull some line out and kick the rust off when they aren’t starting down a fish.

I’ve never been a fan of those clock dials as I feel like it would give them something to look at and be a distraction. If they are looking out as we are fishing I don’t want them looking down then back out then back down then out. If for some reason they can’t do a clock, which I have not had that, (some are better than others) I would just say point your rod a little left and then just drive them from there.

#18 ·
I have the pleasure of fishing for pleasure, not profit, so.......

I'd ask them to point to "2 o'clock port" and "10 o clock starboard". If they don't quickly flip me a finger or at least look at me funny then they're fishing from the dock.
No stickers designed for dummies on my skiff. (except the one that says "capacity 3 people")

On a side note, two questions come to mind.
1) After explaining the concept of 10 & 2 to your angler, what words do you use to inform that highly tuned athlete to look at the sticker, if they are still confused?
2) And when they are on the platform and still can't figure it out, how do you stop yourself from "accidentally" knocking them off the platform with the push pole, or do you just knock their hat off first as a warning shot?

#21 ·
I always use the clock ⏰ on my boat. Of course 12 is straight ahead and 6 is straight back. I don't get into 9:30 I just use hole numbers
I'm old so when I go for my yearly physical they make me draw a clock with hands tell me to make it like 8:25 without cheating why don't you melenials try it. They also ask me to remember 3 words then go through the prep and later ask what the 3 words where. I still remember the words from 4 years ago

#46 ·
This is the method I use. And I'll say the correct method. Lol

If someone is having an issue I will swing the bow and put the fish at 12 if we have enough room to do so. I'll have them point the rod also. I do this with my 8 and 12 year old so it should work for most adults.

I will say that I have a good buddy that gets his numbers screwed up. If he's polling and tells me 3 and I don't see it right away I know to look at 9.

#23 ·
I go with what @Smackdaddy53 says above. Generally I also point and and instruct people to look around at me (so they can see my excitement and where the "f" I am looking and pointing). Saves that whole "no, there by that floating feather, out there... no the other feather...ffs.. there!... oh n'mind I've lost it..."

I never tell people its a good fish until they've hooked it or blown it. Both outcomes have inversely proportional outcomes.

It's a hard game which is why I like it. I'd rather sight fish to 1 fish than blind cast to 50.

#25 ·
I highly doubt someone would reference the sticker, but maybe. If they notice it, it will give them a frame of reference. I think it may actually help me! LOL! Because I’ve dang sure called 10 meaning 2.

#27 · (Edited)
Those stickers are good for time out. If the person on the pointy end misses enough fish you make them study that clock while you get to pole yourself and catch a few fish.
Sometimes I like to play “make it take it” where you trade ends of the skiff when you miss a fish you cast to. It gets really fun when they miss and you cast over their shoulder and catch their fish. That’s an automatic stay on the platform one fish missed.

#28 ·
A tip learned from a Biscayne guide a long time ago was to call out left or right first then follow with the clock position, then have your angler point the rod to refine the direction.

The worst is when the person on the poling platform (behind you) points the push pole in the direction of the fish and yells "THERE IT IS". Only works if the angler has eyes in the back of their head!

#29 ·
Being on both platforms helps me understand what the other person is doing. When I am poling, I make sure and call the clock positions from their view, not mine. Because their 9 will be more like my 11. Like others have said, if I am with someone new, I tell them to point their rod and I can say left or right, up or down.

When I am up front and my buddy says, "fish at 2." I scan the area and point my rod and if I don't see it right away, I take a quick look back at him and see where he is looking. Many times, that is what I need to see the fish.

but I do like that clock pad.

#34 ·
12 o'clock is the pointy end
6 o'clock is the motor on the stern

Poling Platform: "2 o'clock, long cast, redfish moving left to right..."
Casting Platform: <points rod at 2 o'clock> "I don't see him..."
Poling Platform: "10 degrees further right...he's still moving..."
Casting Platform: <adjusts rod tip to the right by 10 degrees>
Poling Platform: "He laid down...still facing left to right...you're pointing right at him..."
Casting Platform: <looking> <looking> "I see him!"

Once the angler sees him then its a discussion about how long the shot is and positioning...

After fishing with someone long enough you learn what short, medium, and long casts mean for them and don't really have to call out numeric ranges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.