Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2021 HB Professional Tunnel
597 Posts
I’ve struggled with the communication of calling shots while sight fishing with most folks I’ve had up front. I start with an explanation, followed by them demonstrating a cast based on my call, and then adapt from there. I‘ve always tried to base the clock from the caster‘s spot on the bow, but never really considered it. I bought the below 1. as a pad to set the pole on quietly 2. To cover up a ding and 3. To give visual reference of ”the clock”. I’ve yet to test it with a live subject, but it looks to me that one of the issues I’ve had in the past is the reference of the clock location. I’m planning on just using this as the reference and moving on, but wondering how folks are calling shots with consistent success.

View attachment 185201
Youre clock is wrong to start. 3 is not the middle of the boat. the angler on the front should be the center of the clock face.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·

·
Registered
729 Posts
One o’clock thirty feet moving right slow.
One o’clock fifty feet sitting still facing away.
One o’clock twenty feet moving left fast.

People get excited and look everywhere but the direction a lot of the time especially if they are new to it or fishing is slow.
This is the method I use. And I'll say the correct method. Lol

If someone is having an issue I will swing the bow and put the fish at 12 if we have enough room to do so. I'll have them point the rod also. I do this with my 8 and 12 year old so it should work for most adults.

I will say that I have a good buddy that gets his numbers screwed up. If he's polling and tells me 3 and I don't see it right away I know to look at 9.

·
Registered
729 Posts
And remember, the guide probably doesn’t want you taking shots at 6 o’clock!😳
Yeah well if we get back doored you can bet you ass I'm taking the shot.

In fact it's not unusual during tarpon season for me to face 6 and the guy on the pole to face 12 or vice versa. If your not your missing opportunities.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Calling shots - How do you do it?

1. Say, "8 ball corner pocket"
  2. Point your bat at the right field wall when you step up to the plate. And just smile at the pitcher.
  3. Throw 20 bucks on the green and say "that putt breaks left in the last 12 inches"
  4. Hold up two fingers to the Barmaid and gesture towards the Macallan 18
  5. Say to the kids "get dressed and get in the car, we're going to Church..... Because God loves you, I said so, and you will probably want desert again before I die" (that one's cheating but its been getting the job done for generations)
That is how you call the shots!!!!!

Oh I forgot one, and say "yes dear" for 20+ years

·
Registered
729 Posts
You need to send that to Seadek and have them make a pad out of it!

I see what you mean but in that case you would want the pad on the platform but if they are that dense you might not want them looking down then at the fish, just one more time killer before that fish gets spooked.
I will tell you that a guide I know has his line spikes different colors for clients that .... Are unaware of skiff orientation.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Leg Human body Sports uniform Glove Sportswear

In actual use, it makes no difference. If someone looks down, then looks at either one they are looking at the correct spot within a few feet. That’s the bonus. I’m certain that it will 1. Cover the ding, 2. Give me a quiet landing spot for the poke.

• Love
Reactions: Smackdaddy53

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Of course 12 o'clock is the bow of the boat. That doesn't change. But my 3 from the polling platform is not their 3 from the bow.
I assumed the instructions would be called out relative to the caster's clock. No? Is it necessary to say "Your 3 o'clock?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
If someone is having an issue I will swing the bow and put the fish at 12 if we have enough room to do so. I'll have them point the rod also. I do this with my 8 and 12 year old so it should work for most adults.
I don't know, if I'd go quite that far. Pretty sure I'd bet on your kids before over half the adults in this country

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't know, if I'd go quite that far. Pretty sure I'd bet on your kids before over half the adults in this country
Take that bet..cell phones don't have hands...

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,575 Posts
This is not that hard but now this thread started to confuse me

• Haha
Reactions: Smackdaddy53

·
Registered
32 Posts
Like everyone else, I use the clock face but use boat lengths instead of feet. It seems my fishing partners definition of distance using feet and mine are not the same.... Tail at 2:00, 3 boat lengths. If the caster still can't see the fish I then ask them to point with their rod and I will correct the direction as needed. Usually works.

Not particularly accurate (I will use half boat lengths sometimes) but usually will get the person to see the fish.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts