Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,575 Posts
I always use the clock ⏰ on my boat. Of course 12 is straight ahead and 6 is straight back. I don't get into 9:30 I just use hole numbers
I'm old so when I go for my yearly physical they make me draw a clock with hands tell me to make it like 8:25 without cheating why don't you melenials try it. They also ask me to remember 3 words then go through the prep and later ask what the 3 words where. I still remember the words from 4 years ago

·
Registered
130 Posts
I go with what @Smackdaddy53 says above. Generally I also point and and instruct people to look around at me (so they can see my excitement and where the "f" I am looking and pointing). Saves that whole "no, there by that floating feather, out there... no the other feather...ffs.. there!... oh n'mind I've lost it..."

I never tell people its a good fish until they've hooked it or blown it. Both outcomes have inversely proportional outcomes.

It's a hard game which is why I like it. I'd rather sight fish to 1 fish than blind cast to 50.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I go with what @Smackdaddy53 says above. Generally I also point and and instruct people to look around at me (so they can see my excitement and where the "f" I am looking and pointing). Saves that whole "no, there by that floating feather, out there... no the other feather...ffs.. there!... oh n'mind I've lost it..."

I never tell people its a good fish until they've hooked it or blown it. Both outcomes have inversely proportional outcomes.

It's a hard game which is why I like it. I'd rather sight fish to 1 fish than blind cast to 50.
Oh h311 yes.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I highly doubt someone would reference the sticker, but maybe. If they notice it, it will give them a frame of reference. I think it may actually help me! LOL! Because I’ve dang sure called 10 meaning 2.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
12,838 Posts
I highly doubt someone would reference the sticker, but maybe. If they notice it, it will give them a frame of reference. I think it may actually help me! LOL! Because I’ve dang sure called 10 meaning 2.
Those stickers are good for time out. If the person on the pointy end misses enough fish you make them study that clock while you get to pole yourself and catch a few fish.
Sometimes I like to play “make it take it” where you trade ends of the skiff when you miss a fish you cast to. It gets really fun when they miss and you cast over their shoulder and catch their fish. That’s an automatic stay on the platform one fish missed.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
35 Posts
A tip learned from a Biscayne guide a long time ago was to call out left or right first then follow with the clock position, then have your angler point the rod to refine the direction.

The worst is when the person on the poling platform (behind you) points the push pole in the direction of the fish and yells "THERE IT IS". Only works if the angler has eyes in the back of their head!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Being on both platforms helps me understand what the other person is doing. When I am poling, I make sure and call the clock positions from their view, not mine. Because their 9 will be more like my 11. Like others have said, if I am with someone new, I tell them to point their rod and I can say left or right, up or down.

When I am up front and my buddy says, "fish at 2." I scan the area and point my rod and if I don't see it right away, I take a quick look back at him and see where he is looking. Many times, that is what I need to see the fish.

but I do like that clock pad.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Never hype up the fish or the area! It is amazing how casters melt when you describe a great fish or spot! I watched the Andy Mills podcast and Captain Justin Rea would just tell his clients, “hey, there’s a Jack, 11 o’clock at 30’, why don’t you cast to it for the hell of it!” Only after landing the “Jack” does he congratulate them on landing a Permit!😂

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
12,838 Posts
Being on both platforms helps me understand what the other person is doing. When I am poling, I make sure and call the clock positions from their view, not mine. Because their 9 will be more like my 11. Like others have said, if I am with someone new, I tell them to point their rod and I can say left or right, up or down.

When I am up front and my buddy says, "fish at 2." I scan the area and point my rod and if I don't see it right away, I take a quick look back at him and see where he is looking. Many times, that is what I need to see the fish.

but I do like that clock pad.
The clock doesn’t move in relation to the boat. 12 o’clock is straight off the bow. If you don’t have a benchmark you will never have a system that works.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,596 Posts
12 o'clock is the pointy end
6 o'clock is the motor on the stern

Poling Platform: "2 o'clock, long cast, redfish moving left to right..."
Casting Platform: <points rod at 2 o'clock> "I don't see him..."
Poling Platform: "10 degrees further right...he's still moving..."
Casting Platform: <adjusts rod tip to the right by 10 degrees>
Poling Platform: "He laid down...still facing left to right...you're pointing right at him..."
Casting Platform: <looking> <looking> "I see him!"

Once the angler sees him then its a discussion about how long the shot is and positioning...

After fishing with someone long enough you learn what short, medium, and long casts mean for them and don't really have to call out numeric ranges.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Poling Platform: "He laid down...still facing left to right...you're pointing right at him..."

Once the angler sees him then its a discussion about how long the shot is and positioning...

After fishing with someone long enough you learn what short, medium, and long casts mean for them and don't really have to call out numeric ranges.
And remember, the guide probably doesn’t want you taking shots at 6 o’clock!😳

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Of course 12 o'clock is the bow of the boat. That doesn't change. But my 3 from the polling platform is not their 3 from the bow.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,960 Posts

And after all that sometimes I lay the pole on the anglers shoulder and point to it :)

21 - 40 of 61 Posts