Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

For a boat under $12-15K: Gheenoe LT-25 or alternative boat?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lucky enough have a 2013 13' Gheenoe as my primary shallow-water boat for the past 6 years but it's time to upgrade. It's been a reliable guide around Punta Gorda's miles of mangrove-lined canals but I want to venture out further and on longer excursions. It only makes sense that I start looking for my next skiff somewhere else in the Gheenoe family. Right off the bat, the LT-25 seems like perfect combination of medium HP, shallow draft, and custom options.

I've combed through over a hundred different configurations and think I have a final layout in mind but I want to hear what some other owners have to say about their boats first.

What are some accessories you wish you had, never expected to like as much as you do, can't live without, regret ever buying, etc? How do you all think Gheenoe holds up to similar brands?

And if anyone is especially proud of your rig please show it!

·
Registered
234 Posts
On a gheenoe style boat the most important thing IMO is to keep it simple. I do love me a gheenoe. Have owned 2 gheenoes and a knock off called a peenoe.

That being said if I was going to spend 12k to 15k I would find a used flats boat. You can find used backcountrys, action crafts, hewes, rangers, and others in that range. You can also find nice LT25's around 5k to 8k.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Big Fish has a good point. I love my Gheenoe. It's a Classic with false floors, poling platform, front casting deck, etc...as close to the LT25 as I could get. It's great for what it is, but if I could have afforded a flats boat, then I'd have bought one. If you're wanting to venture and have any thoughts of covering some open water, that's the route I'd take with your budget. You'll have fewer limitations. You can find a lot of good used boats, just check them out well before you take the plunge.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Look into Aluminum to avoid this !

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
You can get into a quality Aluminum Mod v like this or bigger well within your budget . This is what I run
More freeboard and more room ...

·
Registered
422 Posts
I own the 1st LT 25 made in 2007 and it is still going strong. I've fished it all over the SE from Louisiana to Florida. My boat has a raised back platform with a grab bar and tiller steering. I have a casting platform mounted on the back deck that I use to sit on and to pole from. I have no center box. The only thing I would change is to put a raised front deck on it. I would buy used as others suggested. If it is in your budget I would also look at larger skiffs especially if you are going to bring children or other people. The LT 25 is great for fishing 2 but if you go above that it gets crowded. I mostly fish by myself or one other angler so it has plenty of room. I really enjoy fishing in your area, even if Charlotte Harbor gets rough you have lots of boat ramps to choose from to find protected water. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I own and have fished out of a gheenoe classic for the last 10years. It is an awsome small fishing boat that works great for shallow protected water.

Pro's
you can get a basic used one cheap 4-6grand will get you a like new used LT25.
They have a real world 4" draft if kept simple(I run a 15hp two stroke stock low front deck no frills configuration. I can get areas nobody else will go due to my draft, narrow beam, and light weight. I can even get out and drag the boat over a sandbar if needed.
They are solid glass, and again cheap so if you scrap them against oysters, rocks, logs, your trailer you do not care as much, and they are easy to fix. not as tough as say aluminum, but 10 years worth of oyster rash and mine is still going strong.
paired with a trolling motor you can sneak around really well.

Con's
They pole like crap. Flat bottom and no real V entry means they are a bear to turn especially in wind and tide. They go straight just fine, but if you have to turn they are not much fun.
They are small, and two people is the absolute max you really want to fish out of one.
They beat you up, soak, and terrorize you when the wind picks up and you realize you are 2 miles from the boat launch across open water.

Conclusion: If the 13 does everything you want and you just want the slightly bigger version The classic and LT25 are great boats. If you have a 12K budget and want a true technical poling skiff get something else.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I've been lucky enough have a 2013 13' Gheenoe as my primary shallow-water boat for the past 6 years but it's time to upgrade. It's been a reliable guide around Punta Gorda's miles of mangrove-lined canals but I want to venture out further and on longer excursions. It only makes sense that I start looking for my next skiff somewhere else in the Gheenoe family. Right off the bat, the LT-25 seems like perfect combination of medium HP, shallow draft, and custom options.

I've combed through over a hundred different configurations and think I have a final layout in mind but I want to hear what some other owners have to say about their boats first.

What are some accessories you wish you had, never expected to like as much as you do, can't live without, regret ever buying, etc? How do you all think Gheenoe holds up to similar brands?

And if anyone is especially proud of your rig please show it!
Cash or finance

·
I Love microskiff.com!
401 Posts
When you order a $12k-$15k Gheenoe, what you're doing is ordering the next guy's $7k-$8k Gheenoe. Resale is just a killer.

Fun boats, great first boats, but for that money, you need (and can DEFINITELY find) a legit flats boat.

I had an LT25 for about a year and had plenty of fun with it, but recognized the limitations almost immediately.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,244 Posts
When you order a $12k-$15k Gheenoe, what you're doing is ordering the next guy's $7k-$8k Gheenoe. Resale is just a killer.

Fun boats, great first boats, but for that money, you need (and can DEFINITELY find) a legit flats boat.

I had an LT25 for about a year and had plenty of fun with it, but recognized the limitations almost immediately.
Spot on. I bought a LT-25 new, rigged it myself and kept it for two years. Took a real beating when I sold it.

Reactions: duppyzafari
1 - 20 of 29 Posts