calling all computer geeks

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by brew1891, Jun 25, 2007.

1. brew1891

brew1891 Well-Known Member

looking for a new computer. the choices ive narrowed it down to are Dell or Acer, they are the same price. Any real difference/preference? Specs are pretty much the same. Acer has a bigger hard drive and has the AMD 4400 where the Dell has the AMD 4000. both have 2G RAM and 19" monitor.

discuss...

2. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

Not even close to enough info. Need the full specs on the two computers you are looking at. Also need to know what you are going to use them for. The two big resource hogs are gaming and video editing. Be sure to include details if this is the case.

3. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

http://news.com.com/2100-1010_3-6193211.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

4. brew1891

Sorry about that...

Acer Specs:

Processor Brand AMD Athlon(TM) 64 X2
    Processor Speed 2.2GHz
    System Bus 2000MHz
    19 inch monitor
    Cache Memory 1MB + 1MB on die Level 2
    System Memory (RAM) 2GB
    System Memory (RAM) Expandable To 4GB
    Type of Memory (RAM) PC4200 DDR2 SDRAM
    Hard Drive Type Serial ATA/150 (7200 rpm)
    Hard Drive Size 320GB
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 6100
    Video Memory 256MB (shared)
    Audio Embedded Realtek ALC888 (co-lay with ALC883); high-definition with 7.1-channel audio support
    Modem 56 Kbps*
    Network Card Built-in 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
    Recordable DVD Drive Yes, double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW
    Recordable DVD Drive Speeds 10x DVD+R DL; 6x DVD-R DL; 16x8x16 DVD+RW; 16x8x16 DVD-RW; 12x DVD-RAM; 48x32x48 CD-RW
    Digital Media Reader or Slots Yes, digital media card reader
    Total Expansion Bays External: 2 (3.5"), 2 (5.25"); Internal: 4 (3.5")
    Available Expansion Bays External: 1 (3.5"), 1 (5.25"); Internal: 3 (3.5")
    Total Expansion Slots 2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR
    USB 2.0 Ports 8 (4 front, 4 rear)
    IEEE 1394 Ports 1
    Serial Ports 1
    Parallel Ports 1
    Keyboard Description USB
    Other Control Devices (mouse, etc.) USB mouse
    Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Included Adobe Reader 7.0; CyberLink PowerDVD, NTI CD-Maker Gold and more

Dell specs: (its one of the slim line cases)

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+
    Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    19 inch SE198WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor
    2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs
    250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
    16x DVD+/-RW Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU
    Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Dell USB Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse
    56K PCI Data Fax Modem
    Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD
    Yahoo! Music Jukebox - Music Player
    1Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor - Next Business Day
    Mouse included in Dell Wireless Package
    Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0
    Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
    Windows Vista™ Premium

Mostly used for surfing the web, email, music, photos, maybe some video editing in the future. No gaming.

5. tom_in_orl

Nothing about those systems is special. They are pretty standard and would be fine for general use. The important detail is they both have 2GB of memory. So, I would go with the one that has the form factor you are looking for or go with the cheaper.

If you do go with the Acer make sure the monitor is a 19" LCD. You do not want a CRT. Also check that they are both wide screen formats. I am a big fan of the Dell LCD monitors. If you go with Dell consider upgrading to a 22" wide screen.

6. brew1891

yeah...not looking for anything special...just something that is nice and will last for a few years

7. jmarkklock

jmarkklock Well-Known Member

disclaimer: this is just my humble opinion.
    I make my living working with computers. I'm not a web guy, hell I'm not even a geek. I am a self employed Architect/DBA (SQL SEVER and Oracle) and I specialize in BI (Data Warehousing). I recently bought a new laptop to use for work and home. After a lot of research.. I bought a Macbook Pro. I run both windows and OSX. When at work I boot windows, when doing anything else (web, photos, music, video editing, etc., etc, etc,) I boot OSX (It's built on Unix). You said the primary use was 'Mostly used for surfing the web, email, music, photos, maybe some video editing in the future. No gaming.' A Mac would be perfect for those uses. Go to an apple store and check it out. No patches, no viruses, no spyware, etc, etc. Heck, windows runs faster on my mac (intel core duo processors) than It does on my friends 'pc' based laptop with the same processor speed (2.4 Ghz). Let the flames begin!

8. brew1891

i love the macs...just not the price. the computers i am looking at are 1/2 the price of the most basic imac.

9. phishphood

phishphood Beer is good, Beer is good, and stuff!

Nothing wrong with a Dell machine, but watch out for their financing dept. Bad experience with those guys.

10. tom_in_orl

X2

I get my UNIX fix by running Linux. (Microskiff.com is also hosted on Linux) I always run Firefox but it appears I am in the minority ;D These are microskiff.com stats. Also interesting is how little people are using Vista.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you do any type of hosting be sure to check out Google analytics. Its free and it creates these killer reports.

11. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Hum... the #3 & #5 spot must be me... Firefox MAC OS X from home and Safari MAC OS X from work... ;D

I do IT/Security for my real "job" and there is a reason I have a Mac... I only have to work 3 days a week... ;D

We run Parallels on a couple Intel Macs and with the new Coherence built into Parallels it's sweet! I can run the one specific app they need peecee OS but lock out internet etc on the peecee side and run all our other apps, mail, web through the Mac OS.... much more secure and FAR fewer real world threats.

For our MIS Enterprise app we run RDC on the Mac through Terminal Services. Very nice... I remote admin most of our systems mostly via VNC, granted it's slower than RDC, but it works and it's FREE! :D

We have a hardware VPN/Firewall appliance, one xServe with a 2 terrabyte xRaid for file services, FTP, and wed hosting. We have two WIN2K3 servers, one is our MIS Enterprise server running a SQL DB and accounting app, the other runs a large format proofer. It's also going to run our tape back up server. Our old NT just ain't hacking it anymore. We have two WIN2K servers, one running a custom UI attached to an Oracle DB. The other runs out Trendsetter. We have a couple legacy peecee's around the shop including one that's running a token ring connection to our Man Roland 700. The rest of the company, about 85% including servers are all Macs. Lower TCO quicker RIO when you account for service and administration tasks. And most importantly much safer in a real world environment PERIOD! I've crunched the numbers, quite simply the company saves a couple grand a month by running Macs, and I only have to work a 3 day week! More time for fishing!

So to sum it up, yes in the box a Mac will cost you more, over the life of the machine your TCO will be substantially less.

Just something to consider.

Cheep car now that you'll have to constantly fix, reinstall the engine, upgrade etc. Or a more expensive car that will require much less maintenances in the long run.

Cheers

12. captnron

captnron Guest

Hope your right ;) Just bought a Mac at my son's request to take to the dorm next year.

13. JRH

JRH Well-Known Member

Nail that thing to his desk with 6" railroad ties and then bolt and chain his desk to the floor. Lots of [smiley=pirate.gif] in dorm halls these days.

14. captnron

captnron Guest

Let's jus say he's getting a "body piercing" after orientation this week to attach it to. ;)

15. brew1891

just ordered the Dell...wife quickly shot down the 20" i-mac idea...gotta pick the battles and id prefer to battle over a quantum cabo than a computer which i barely know how to use

16. phishphood

phishphood Beer is good, Beer is good, and stuff!

17. brew1891

ok....got the new Dell up and running

Now can you guys reccomend the following:

1. What virus protection program should i use/run

2. What firewall should i use?

thanks.

18. tom_in_orl

Its Windows Vista right? Use the firewall that comes with it. If it is not currently turned on it will alert you.

Your choices for AV are limited since its Vista. I am a huge fan of Blink from eEye Digital Security but that is only available for Windows XP at the moment (btw, its free for those of you still running XP). My backup for Vista would be AVG from http://free.grisoft.com. I would run this until eEye releases a Windows Vista version.

19. brew1891

thanks tom

firewall was already on and i downloaded AVG and got it running.