Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2007 Gordon Waterman , plus beat up J16 and unfinished Gheenoe project sitting in the "boneyard"
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish the Louisiana Marsh, spend a lot of time poling quite shallow, but a lot of what I fish requires some significant open water crossings. I'm in the market for a new to me skiff. Given the choice of a Caimen or a Waterman 18, similarly rigged and priced close enough for it to not be a factor, which would you choose and why? Any other strong recommendations in the 18 foot range for those criteria, and again, why? Thanks.

Reactions: jmrodandgun

· Registered
2007 Gordon Waterman , plus beat up J16 and unfinished Gheenoe project sitting in the "boneyard"
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So honest question cause I don't know. Would a similarly equipped and condition Caimen and Waterman be roughly the same cost?
Steve, generally the Waterman will be more, the two I were comparing were close in price because the Caimen was newer.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
On a side note, I don’t think comparing those 2 skiffs is apples to apples per say.

Measurements from manufacturer website.
Waterman- length 18’ beam 73”
Fury- length 18’1” beam 72”
Caimen- length 17’10” beam 61.5”
Glades Skiff- length 17’8” beam 58”
Austin, certainly not apples to apples in layout/size, but a fairly good comparison in terms of being able to do what I need them to. Both will fish well in shallow water, both have OKish ability to cross some open water. Keep in mind I'm moving from a Carolina Skiff, so anything will be an improvement in that regard.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Reactions: TidewateR

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If you want a caimen ride just shoot me a message.
Thanks Austin, I've spent a lot of time poling and fishing from a couple of different Caimen's. They impressed me with how they handle a chop and they pole just fine. Some folks think they are a little tippy, but I've spent a lot of time on a platform so I guess it jsut doesn't bother me.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Reactions: Elusive Porpi

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Same offer if you want to spend some time on the little cayo skiff. You got a standing invitation any time you want to go. I'll give you a buzz over Christmas break.
Hey I'm off the week between Christmas and New Year...

Reactions: jmrodandgun

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I can give a reply if you/others want to know why the Caimen is a dry/great riding skiff?
Kevin, I’ve always been impressed with the ride of a Caimen for a boat of its size. Of course there are trade offs with all skiffs but you found a nice balance of ride and fish ability with it.

Reactions: East Cape

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I cry a little every time I see those pics....
You were always good company when you joined me in her. Hopefully I'll have a new sled by, or shortly after the first of the year, and if it's something that's better in a chop it will be great for all the crappy weather you always bring with....

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
They do quite well, supposing that you have a sane person driving the skiff.......
Well that eliminates someone we know...lol

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Ya but without a boat to fish, think of all the free time you’ll have to finish it!

turns out it drives pretty good with no one at the the helm
Ouch

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Interested minds are still wondering.

I've enjoyed the few times I've fished out of a buddy's Caimen.
And those times weren't very dry, though no fault of the boat. He just drives crazy in crazy conditions.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I’d recommend waterman. But it prob will be more money. Nothing wrong with the Caimen. I’d opt for one with hatches vs the solid deck I think they did for awhile. Are you the one who had a Carolina skiff get wrecked? If so, you caught a ton of fish out of it, you get your hands on either of these you’re going to absolutely love it.
Thanks, yeah I ran that Carolina Skiff for 18 years and can't count the fish that I and others have caught out of it, she had some serious mojo. Heartbroken that she's gone, but excited of the prospect of a nice new skiff.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Easy Lightning..... I'm right here.

Thank you for the compliment.
I think.
I know you have that custom throttle that only has 2 settings....don't go and go like hell. Wouldn't change a thing about you though brother.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Those FL tags are offensive! & not one flat bill on the boat...it’s a wonder y’all caught fish.
It will lose the carpet bagger look as soon as I get my La registration.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.