Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Caimen vs Waterman 18

12147 Views 66 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  texasag07
I fish the Louisiana Marsh, spend a lot of time poling quite shallow, but a lot of what I fish requires some significant open water crossings. I'm in the market for a new to me skiff. Given the choice of a Caimen or a Waterman 18, similarly rigged and priced close enough for it to not be a factor, which would you choose and why? Any other strong recommendations in the 18 foot range for those criteria, and again, why? Thanks.
Reactions: jmrodandgun
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
619 Posts
I have fished on both extensively. They both ride pretty similar in the rough stuff, as in neither of them is ideal but very very doable with a skilled driver. Caimen will be drier and slightly smoother, Waterman runs skinnier with a JP. Both pole skinny enough for 98% of situations out there but I prefer poling the waterman. I give the edge to the waterman 18 for the extra stability and roomier cockpit all things being considered. Especially if it’s a Tom built waterman pre-reissue from HB.

Trolling motors are a non-starter for either skiff :)

· Registered
619 Posts
Any skiff (Marquesa, HPX-V, Vantage, Cayo, Chittum, etc.) and even a 32’ Contender will beat your teeth in if you drive like a d*ckhead and/or lack basic seamanship skills. I’ve been in some legitimately heavy conditions well offshore in an 18’ waterman and I won’t say it wasn’t a slower ride in, but we made it back without any issues.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.