Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish the Louisiana Marsh, spend a lot of time poling quite shallow, but a lot of what I fish requires some significant open water crossings. I'm in the market for a new to me skiff. Given the choice of a Caimen or a Waterman 18, similarly rigged and priced close enough for it to not be a factor, which would you choose and why? Any other strong recommendations in the 18 foot range for those criteria, and again, why? Thanks.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
159 Posts
Ive owned both. I would say that overall, the Waterman is a more versatile boat. Way more room in the cockpit and much more stable. Both pole really well. When weighed down (24V TM and plenty of fuel), i think the Caimen has a softer and drier ride. To me, the comfort of the ride in the Caimen drops off dramatically with lighter builds and less weight. Unless youre spending a lot of time in back creeks where the narrow beam is advantageous, i would go with the Waterman.

·
Registered
193 Posts
East Cape Fury would suit you well. More well rounded and better ride than a Caimen. WAY more stable. Also, unlike either of the boats you mentioned, the Fury has some deadrise. I would see no issue carving through narrow creeks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've had the 18' Waterman & it was a very stable fishing platform & rode well!!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,211 Posts
Waterman 18 all day. Caimen might be a touch drier but waterman is A much better all around boat. depending how it’s laid out the 18 will draft the same as A light build Caimen Cause on the lighter ones the bow seems to get stuck first from my experience.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Waterman for sure between those two. It’s long enough to bridge the gaps between. The chop and very stable. Tab down and slow down on the nasty days and you’ll be fine

Reactions: Chewy71

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
What Austin said. But I think your initial premise is key. "Relatively the same cost." That is likely where the real difference comes in.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have fished on both extensively. They both ride pretty similar in the rough stuff, as in neither of them is ideal but very very doable with a skilled driver. Caimen will be drier and slightly smoother, Waterman runs skinnier with a JP. Both pole skinny enough for 98% of situations out there but I prefer poling the waterman. I give the edge to the waterman 18 for the extra stability and roomier cockpit all things being considered. Especially if it’s a Tom built waterman pre-reissue from HB.

Trolling motors are a non-starter for either skiff :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Have owned a no floor waterman 18 for 12 years. It’s a great boat for how I like to fish most of the time. Definitely not the driest boat by any means but you can adjust w tabs and trim to make it better. If you know how to run it you can run it in scary narrow canals without sliding as well. One thing I really like is that the hull has enough rocker to get the bow up if it gets super snotty. Everyone else has already spoken as to how it fishes.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I have fished on both extensively. They both ride pretty similar in the rough stuff, as in neither of them is ideal but very very doable with a skilled driver. Caimen will be drier and slightly smoother, Waterman runs skinnier with a JP. Both pole skinny enough for 98% of situations out there but I prefer poling the waterman. I give the edge to the waterman 18 for the extra stability and roomier cockpit all things being considered. Especially if it’s a Tom built waterman pre-reissue from HB.

Trolling motors are a non-starter for either skiff :)
Atta boy Caleb. I've been wondering when that would creep in! :D

·
Registered
1,948 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had always wanted a waterman and was all set to buy but changed my mined after riding the Evo x slightly different boat but draft and pole similar. I like the Evo a little better on the pole. More dry storage and large deck area front and back plus it sits higher in the water and felt more comfortable for those days fishing off the beach. I also prefer the closed bilge over the open ones on the HB and I couldn’t commit to the side console. if those were my only two choices I may still lean to the waterman over the caimen.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
So honest question cause I don't know. Would a similarly equipped and condition Caimen and Waterman be roughly the same cost?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So honest question cause I don't know. Would a similarly equipped and condition Caimen and Waterman be roughly the same cost?
Steve, generally the Waterman will be more, the two I were comparing were close in price because the Caimen was newer.

·
Registered
354 Posts
On a side note, I don’t think comparing those 2 skiffs is apples to apples per say.

Measurements from manufacturer website.
Waterman- length 18’ beam 73”
Fury- length 18’1” beam 72”
Caimen- length 17’10” beam 61.5”
Glades Skiff- length 17’8” beam 58”

1 - 20 of 67 Posts