Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got some meetings in Cabo next week. I don’t really want to book a guide so I’m just going to pack an 9 weight and a few poppers and clousers.
Anybody dyi there before? I’m just curious about what I may get ahold of . I know there are roosters and that would be cool but I’m sure there is other stuff in the surf.
Anybody ever done it?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I worked on ships there doing natural history cruises years ago. There is a great video, can’t find the link, of two guys chasing big roosters in the surf. They are on an ATV running along the beach looking for roosters. I’d catch them trolling, but not from the beach. I’d suggest renting an ATV and running the beach with it early and late. From my trolling experience, as with most fish, they are concentrated and you rarely know exactly where you’ll find them so the more ground you can cover the better.

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,413 Posts
Have fished the prime zones for roosters in the East Cape and La Paz areas. Big mullet patterns and sardines in olives and pearl will work. Most use 10-weights. Gary Graham has the scoop on what's happening.

http://www.bajafly.com/newweb/baja/cabosanlucas.htm

You can rent pangas for cheap and try for stripers and sails within a short run from Cabo harbor.

Have fun and stop in for a meal and cerveza at Baja Cantina on the waterfront. Cabo Wabo is always entertaining for the nightlife.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've lived in off and on in the east cape(los barriles) for years, I don't know of any area in Cabo where you can rent quads and run the beach...however I could be mistaken.

While you can catch roosters from the beach down there, it's nowhere as easy as perhaps most people think it is. Finding a location you access is the first challenge especially on the Pacific side where the waves can get GNARLY...as in 12-15' sometimes. However I've seen roosters surfing down the face of them and will eat.

To answer your question around what you might find in the surf right now - jacks, ladyfish, sierra and you may stumble across some juvenile roosters as the big boys don't really show up in numbers until around april. Other species found around rocks this time of year would include triggers, small grouper & pargo, lookdowns, trumpetfish, parrotfish.

Plan on trying to get out at sunrise or sundown to avoid tourons on the beach looking to add an earring if you're going to stick around the resort beaches.

My unsolicited 2 cents, check out Wes Borough(cabo surf caster) and see if he's available. He does surf fish trips at a very affordable price and can access areas nobody fishes on account of him growing up there and family involved with the church there in town. If you do, tell him Kyle sent you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can tell you from experience unless you can cast 120’ don’t waste your time the surf on Pacific side.... Truly a real mans sport!! Best bet to snag a Rooster in Cabo is with Baja Anglers. Their Worldcat gives a stable casting platform when teased up from the depths.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I worked on ships there doing natural history cruises years ago. There is a great video, can’t find the link, of two guys chasing big roosters in the surf. They are on an ATV running along the beach looking for roosters. I’d catch them trolling, but not from the beach. I’d suggest renting an ATV and running the beach with it early and late. From my trolling experience, as with most fish, they are concentrated and you rarely know exactly where you’ll find them so the more ground you can cover the better.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
643 Posts
A young Frank. Remember watching the unedited footage, then final cut. He has been going there for a long time. That upped the ante for Drake movies. And still better than the ones with a SA yelling, gee tee, gee tee.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts