Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven’t looked at one on a GPS except the downloadable iPhone apps so I was wondering if it shows the detail of marsh areas off the beating path of main bays and coastal regions??

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone have a GPS and run into marsh area a ways? Wondering if it shows detail of waterways like google earth or is it a big blob in a different color???

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I use navionics maps with the satellite overlay. No issues running. The basic C Map seems to pretty much be just that. I didn’t spend a whole lot of time playing with it though.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Navionics with satellite overlay A84E5D5D-A244-43F2-9E35-F0EA48B2C9D2.jpeg without overlay 7DBD2402-59DE-4C1F-BE14-1305D6AB8E2F.jpeg C-Map B83128B5-88FE-46D2-8C93-E64A72CC7663.jpeg same basic area of Greens. I’m sure you can play with the settings for the C-Map and get more info than just bushes but I like the overlay.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Navionics with satellite overlay View attachment 73974 without overlay View attachment 73976 C-Map View attachment 73978 same basic area of Greens. I’m sure you can play with the settings for the C-Map and get more info than just bushes but I like the overlay.
That overlay is exactly what I was looking for. I just purchased a boat with a Lowrance Hook 4 GPS. I think this is a real inexpensive model and I am not sure if I could do the overlay with it. Does your unit prompt you in downloading the overlay? Is that just Google Earth?
Sorry for all the questions but this has got me pumped. Thanks

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You don’t have to download anything. It’s a feature on the navionics chip. Not all units are compatible. With the overlay feature. If you get on the navionics site they have a list of units that are compatible with what feature.

I would recommend spending a little time cruising around it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You don’t have to download anything. It’s a feature on the navionics chip. Not all units are compatible. With the overlay feature. If you get on the navionics site they have a list of units that are compatible with what feature.

I would recommend spending a little time cruising around it.
Thank you!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Hook runs no charts that have any photos and the software running is insufficient to control map layers on more detailed charts.
I actually went to the Navionics web site and downloaded the app for my phone in which it let me go in and change to the satellite image.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts