Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at possibly picking up a BVK 8wt from a fellow forum member. I know they are fairly lightweight and I have read they pair best with lighter reels. It will be going on my Redington Grande 8wt. It’s not the lightest (6.7oz) or most compact reel so I’m curious how it will match. Anybody have experience/input? Or want to sell me something better? haha Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
145 Posts
6.7oz seems pretty light for most 8 wt reels. Then again, backing can add a surprising amount of weight so if it holds a lot that might change things a bit. Still, rod/reel balance is such an individual thing that I'd think you'd try the reel you have (if you like it) before downsizing.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True. It's not super heavy, just maybe a little bulkier than some other reels. Definitely wouldn't downsize as I love the reel. Always different buying something sight unseen. Seems to have great reviews though.

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,047 Posts
I have an 8WT BVK. I haven't had any issues with a Lamson Guru 3.5 (5.59 oz), Lamson Speedster 3.5 (5.70 oz), or Hatch Finatic 7 plus Gen 1 (8.60 oz) with this rod. BTW you should try throwing the SA Amplitude MPX in 8 wt on it, I have been so happy with this setup!

The only way I am going to upgrade is getting a Scott Meridian maybe a Scott Tidal for the right price.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an 8WT BVK. I haven't had any issues with a Lamson Guru 3.5 (5.59 oz), Lamson Speedster 3.5 (5.70 oz), or Hatch Finatic 7 plus Gen 1 (8.60 oz) with this rod. BTW you should try throwing the SA Amplitude MPX in 8 wt on it, I have been so happy with this setup!

The only way I am going to upgrade is getting a Scott Meridian maybe a Scott Tidal for the right price.
Awesome. I will check that line out. About time for new line anyways.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,244 Posts
I have a BVK 6 wt. and 8 wt. and love them. BVK reels on both.

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,821 Posts
My buddy has one in an 8wt, and it's a sweet throwing rod. We've never put any monsters on it, but I imagine it should be fine as long as you don't high-stick a big fish or compromise it by slapping it with a heavy fly.

At the end of the day all rods can break (usually due to user error at some point), and I'd rather break a TFO than most other brands. I wouldn't hesitate at all to fish the BVK, personally, especially in an 8wt.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I broke my BVK 9 wt. I’m going to say it was totally user error, had a huge school of busting fish right in front of me and brought a Striper to the shore and tried to lift it with the rod when I should have grabbed it. Tip section snapped. I didn’t have a spare with me, so i jammed the sections together and caught two more fish. I had not sent in the card for the rod. I called TFO and the woman who answered said in a sweet Texas twang, oh you just go ahead and send that thing in honey and we’ll fix it for you. The charge was $35 and I had a new section so I could fish my Barry V. “Lefty” Kreh again.

This fall I put out some rods and invited a couple of my friends to try them out. The reaction to the BVK was “holy crap, this thing is a rocket!” They were both completely impressed, one had Cabela setups that he was used to, the other had an older Sage. BVK for me all the way.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I just picked up a 7wt and threw a sage 2280 on it. It balances great and casts well with SA mastery redfish. Those 2200 reels are discontinued and you can get them on eBay for $100 new. They are great reels for the money.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Squashed a couple of snake guides the first couple days I had my 8 wt. Talked to the same lady at TFO, certain that the warranty wouldn’t cover that, she said, “Honey, don’t worry about it, send it on in.”

5,7,&8 for me, only break was in my garage door.

Just bought another TFO - an Axiom-in 5wt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Back to the original question about the reel on the BVK - I've used 3 different reels on my 8# BVK including a Nautilus FWX (4.1 oz), Ross Evo LT (4.8 oz), and a Cheeky Mojo (7.35 oz). I guess the rod isn't that picky because all worked well together. On our last trip to the Bahamas, my wife used a BVK paired with a Ross CLA (7.3 oz) and loved it, so I think you're in safe territory with a 6.7 oz reel

·
Registered
262 Posts
All of the rods they are trying to sell do well in their "shoot out".

Elevating the BVK gives them a mid priced rod they can recommend amidst the high priced options...
Maybe all the rods that do well in their “shoot out” they try to sell.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts