Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a pretty nice set skiff, it has a 2006 50hp Honda, unfortunately no dealers around me work on or can test Honda outboards. Purchasing a used boat without a diagnostics test scares the heck out of me, what is yalls take?!

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
If the boat and motor look well maintained. Runs well, then it might be worth it. If it were yours. Would you run diagnostics frequently just because? Probably not. So what is the difference? You could always sell the Honda and buy something serviceable locally.

·
Banned
1,441 Posts
My mechanic buddy has more concerns about used motors w 50 hrs than motors w 500 hours His thought process is if you have put 500 hrs on it w/ no trouble ,youre most likely good ( lemon wise )
I think today’s motors will run forever w proper care

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Check the compression. Take it for a test ride. If it starts easily, runs smooth ,has a good pee stream and looks clean, chances are it's ok. But, if you don't have anyone to service it near by, you may want to pass on it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently there have been a few issues with it peeing alright which is kinda deterring me from getting it, I am not too concerned about the hours it’s more so I want someone to look at the shape of the engine and I can’t even do that unless I am down at the coast (I’m in Austin Tx 3 hours away)

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Those BF50's had corrosion issues in both the power head and lower unit. The power head has zinks under the intake that aren't listed in the maintenance schedule. You need to pull the intake and carbs to get to them, it's a real pain in the dick. The lowers had corrosion issues as well. Do not take my word for it but the last time I worked on one of these I think I remember the carrier bearing bolt being threaded directly into the lower unit housing.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I also have heard of corrosion issues even though I have no first hand knowledge of it. 4stroke motors need a vacuum test also according to my boat mechanic.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I wouldn't buy a boat, new or used, where there wasn't a reasonably close service dealer. But then that's just me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts