Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
BBA Counselor
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've vacationed a few times down in Englewood and on Manasota Key and really like the area for both living and fishing. Now we can't come close to buying anything near Lrmon Bay, but off the Myakka or further east in Charlotte Harbor might be a good long shot.
Next year if things continue we might try and buy a lot to either hold onto for retirement, or build a short term rental on. So anyone who is familiar with that area care to share a pro/con list with us? Thanks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
We bought about 5 yrs ago in East Englewood after looking at the area for quite awhile. Big difference between Port Charlotte and Englewood. We like Englewood. We bought out if the flood zone. At first I wanted water access but glad I did not. I trailer my skiff to many various launches depending on where I want to fish and what's happening where etc. If I was held to one spot it would take to long to get to various sites. Also a lot less money and not in flood zone e is key. I have a great realtor who has become a wonderful friend if you want her contact info let me know. Sondra Isgrig. Fyi we rent our place every winter as I am still working. We go down typically April, and Oct/Nov. No problem renting as there is a shortage if rentals.

·
BBA Counselor
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We bought about 5 yrs ago in East Englewood after looking at the area for quite awhile. Big difference between Port Charlotte and Englewood. We like Englewood. We bought out if the flood zone. At first I wanted water access but glad I did not. I trailer my skiff to many various launches depending on where I want to fish and what's happening where etc. If I was held to one spot it would take to long to get to various sites. Also a lot less money and not in flood zone e is key. I have a great realtor who has become a wonderful friend if you want her contact info let me know. Sondra Isgrig. Fyi we rent our place every winter as I am still working. We go down typically April, and Oct/Nov. No problem renting as there is a shortage if rentals.
What is considered East Englewood? I was looking at a place on the west side of the Myakka, but they are listed as a port charlotte addresses. My concern is as we get older I may not be able to launch a boat so easily, especially if we upgrade to a 20+footer. That said the same community I'm looking at has its own boat ramp, so fighting a crowded ramp won't be an issue. I'll look for the flood zones, but if we are on the water we might end up building on stilts.

Tell me more about the rent part cause that it a big part of this. Do you do like AirBnB? What percentage of the year would you say you have a tenant? You get decent prices? Is there both a short term and long term rental shortage? Thank you!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Well like I said there is a big difference between city of Englewood and city of Port Charlotte. Englewood is located in both Charlotte and Sarasota counties. A 20' boat will work in parts of the rivers and offshore but not much good for fishing the shallow water which is everywhere except the beaches and ocean fishing. I suggest that you spend some time a week here and there down there to better understand the area. Looking online can be misleading. East Englewood is a section of Englewood just above Rotunda (the big circle on the map). In my opinion there are major differences in neighborhoods throughout both areas. PC is too crowded and just not my cup of tea. If you look on line at any rental realty for the area or even zillow you will get an idea of rents for prices. We have had no problem renting except during this virus. Not as easy during the summer to rent though still possible. There are both short and long term clients. We do not do AirBnB we use a rental agency who takes 15% but handles everything including taxes, cleaning, collections. It has worked out nicely and I would not want to rent it myself- the 15% is well worth not having all of the hassle. We have been renting winters for 4 years now. Hope this helps. The thing about the flood zone is you cannot borrow any money for a mortgage or a build unless you pay for flood zone insurance and that can be outrageous. And if you don't have it and you are in a flood zone and lose everything due to a flood or hurricane or the power goes out for 3 weeks and your house turns to mold then you have no insurance. Easy decision for me and why I am not in a flood zone yet 10-15 minutes from three different ramps all at different locations and 10 minutes from the beach at Manasota key. Good luck. pm me if you want more info.

·
BBA Counselor
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well like I said there is a big difference between city of Englewood and city of Port Charlotte. Englewood is located in both Charlotte and Sarasota counties. A 20' boat will work in parts of the rivers and offshore but not much good for fishing the shallow water which is everywhere except the beaches and ocean fishing. I suggest that you spend some time a week here and there down there to better understand the area. Looking online can be misleading. East Englewood is a section of Englewood just above Rotunda (the big circle on the map). In my opinion there are major differences in neighborhoods throughout both areas. PC is too crowded and just not my cup of tea. If you look on line at any rental realty for the area or even zillow you will get an idea of rents for prices. We have had no problem renting except during this virus. Not as easy during the summer to rent though still possible. There are both short and long term clients. We do not do AirBnB we use a rental agency who takes 15% but handles everything including taxes, cleaning, collections. It has worked out nicely and I would not want to rent it myself- the 15% is well worth not having all of the hassle. We have been renting winters for 4 years now. Hope this helps. The thing about the flood zone is you cannot borrow any money for a mortgage or a build unless you pay for flood zone insurance and that can be outrageous. And if you don't have it and you are in a flood zone and lose everything due to a flood or hurricane or the power goes out for 3 weeks and your house turns to mold then you have no insurance. Easy decision for me and why I am not in a flood zone yet 10-15 minutes from three different ramps all at different locations and 10 minutes from the beach at Manasota key. Good luck. pm me if you want more info.
Ok I get what you are saying. I'm not talking about "Port Charlotte" even though it comes up as that. The area I was interested in is Gulf Cove, which literally touches Englewood East.

We have family that own investments in Rotunda and on the water in Port Charlotte, but they don't fish or own boats. We actually went down there once as a real estate scouting trip and that's how we found gulf cove.
I've boated/fished Lemon bay a bunch, it seems bay boats are pretty popular down there and I'd like to be able to go offshore on occasion. I may end up with a few different boats in the end as I'll be able to store them.
As far as flood insurance goes, that's something we will need to consider and part of why we might raise the house we build. It's a trade off, but might be worth it to be able to fish off my own dock.
Thanks for the rental info, a service does sound like its the way to go. I'll hit you up for more info if we decide to go that route.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Great, yes Gulf Cove is good. I often go out of Jobean and pass by Gulf Cove. Let me know if you do it.

·
BBA Counselor
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so in a nut shell, everything before going over the bridge is decent. I agree the downtown area of PC was a bit busy and run down for us.
Did they ever dredge stump pass? A few years back it seemed to be closing up a bit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If launching a 20' boat as you get older is a concern, you probably will not enjoy climbing the stairs every time you go in or out of a stilt house when you get older either.

·
BBA Counselor
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If launching a 20' boat as you get older is a concern, you probably will not enjoy climbing the stairs every time you go in or out of a stilt house when you get older either.
There is a big difference there. My 91 year old grandfather could still climb a flight of stairs no problem. Climbing in and out of a boat while on a trailer and trying not to slip on the wet ramp is a totally different animal.

·
Registered
56 Posts
There is a big difference there. My 91 year old grandfather could still climb a flight of stairs no problem. Climbing in and out of a boat while on a trailer and trying not to slip on the wet ramp is a totally different animal.
It all depends on the person. I'm 76, and have no problem launching and loading my 22' offshore boat alone.

But going up a dozen steps every time going into the house definitely gets old.

·
BBA Counselor
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm sorry, but I very much disagree. It takes considerable more effort to even launch my skiff, then it takes to go up a flight of stairs. Hook up the trailer,, driving to the ramp, get out and prep the boat, launch it and tie it up, then back into the truck to park it, then reverse order a few hours later. Versus walk to dock, push button and drive away, reverse order and climb up a flight of stairs.
And if we ever get to that point where the stairs are an issue we will just put in a lift

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
What is considered East Englewood? I was looking at a place on the west side of the Myakka, but they are listed as a port charlotte addresses. My concern is as we get older I may not be able to launch a boat so easily, especially if we upgrade to a 20+footer. That said the same community I'm looking at has its own boat ramp, so fighting a crowded ramp won't be an issue. I'll look for the flood zones, but if we are on the water we might end up building on stilts.

Tell me more about the rent part cause that it a big part of this. Do you do like AirBnB? What percentage of the year would you say you have a tenant? You get decent prices? Is there both a short term and long term rental shortage? Thank you!
As soon as you put your house on stilts along comes wind insurance theyre gonna get you either way.

·
BBA Counselor
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is Florida, we all pay for wind storm protection, stilts shouldn't effect that as the house still needs to be built to windstorm code.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
This is Florida, we all pay for wind storm protection, stilts shouldn't effect that as the house still needs to be built to windstorm code.
I dont pay for wind insurance as my house is one story and on a concrete slab and never have 53 year resident just saying.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I just found buying out of the flood zone was key regarding insurance. Adding third nail to roof house plate lowered insurance. I am 10 minutes away from 3 ramps and the beach. And it didn't cost as much. While no restrictions by an association still an attractive well kept safe neighborhood. I originally looked at canal homes but then realized that would be restrictive. I have two well known guides who live within a block from me. I think they saw the same advantages.

·
BBA Counselor
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where are you? Cause if its in FL then I'd wager you do and don't realize it.

·
BBA Counselor
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
True, but that's foolish at best since it costs so little. When I was deployed to Mexico Beach after Hurricane Michael we heard sob story after sob story about how they either didn't have insurance, or not enough to rebuild. They all said the same things... a storm hasn't ever hit here... didn't think it could be that bad... I always thought insurance was for suckers...
Hell I thought we were pretty safe in Lakeland, but had a tornado touch down nearby. It caused just enough damage to get me a new roof, gutters, and ceiling to the tune of 18k, but cost me nothing in the end.

Either way, let's move on from the actual house, cause I'm gonna do what I like since it's my money.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts