Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be going to Colorado this July and looking for somewhere to buy flies online. I’d like to have the basics already in my box and ready to go and then go to some local shops and fine tune my box.

What are some sites that y’all buy from that don’t have crappy flies that fall apart.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Before I started tying my own bonefish flies I used Hill's Discount Flies and they seemed to be good quality. Not sure about their freshwater ones but seeing as they are in Colorado I'm sure they are just as good.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I get my basic stuff like Pheasant tails, BWO's, wooly buggers, WD-40's and other midge patterns from Big Y. Great pricing, fast shipping and good stuff. Outside of that I always buy from the local fly shop as well as they always have a few patterns specific to that time of year and water you are fishing. Plus got to show them some love as well.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Sierra trading post is a great place to buy all the basic trout flies. I grew up in Coloradoa... where area rivers are you fishing? I can give you some pattern advice if i know the river.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We will hopefully be staying on the Taylor River around Almont. So mainly fishing it but will also be fishing smaller streams around that area.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Parachute Hares Ear or Elk Wing Caddis in size 14, 16, 18. A dozen assorted general purpose nymphs like Princes, Hares Ear, a few Caddis Emergers, maybe some CDCs. After that, plan on picking up what they are currently eating at the local shop when you get there. There is a shop in Almont, right where you are fishing. Its fairly small water, and a light rod is in order -- a 3 weight would be my pick.

The guys at Flysouth in Nashville can help you if you don't have a trout shop nearby. Save some money for when you get there. You'll never beat current local info.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I lived in Colorado or 45 years and wrote outdoors columns for both the Rocky Mountain News and the Colorado Springs Gazette. I totally agree with Hank about buying your flies at a local fly shop. Both shops in Almont are excellent resources on current conditions and fly selection. If you just want to get stoked ahead of time, you can't go wrong with Parachute Adams, elk-hair caddis, a few size 18 black or red midges, and don't go anywhere without black and brown woolly buggers. If you decide to fish the Hog Trough on the Taylor, you will need size 20 midges and mysis shrimp patterns, and a good supply of patience.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts