Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that I am getting into fly fishing I am running into a dilemma. There is really no place to buy flies around where I live. And NO I am not at the point where I want to learn to tie my own. So my question is.. Where is the best place to purchase flats online? Also recommendations on what everyone is using for redfish would also be appreciated.

Thank You

·
I Love microskiff.com!
495 Posts
@Dbrady and I sell some. I know you don’t want to get into tying but it’s honestly the way to go. Flies get ruined pretty quickly and you may not have the flies you want in your box the night before you plan to fish. If you can tie a few this won’t be that big of a deal but if you have to buy online it may suck

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Dbrady and I sell some. I know you don’t want to get into tying but it’s honestly the way to go. Flies get ruined pretty quickly and you may not have the flies you want in your box the night before you plan to fish. If you can tie a few this won’t be that big of a deal but if you have to buy online it may suck
I'm sure I will eventually get into tying once I get the casting and overall fishing part down but right now my time and patience is limited. LOL
What flies do you recommend? And how would I go about making a purchase. I do have an Orvis store about an hour away but finding the time to get over there is a challenge sometime. What I hope to do is find a few flies that I like and then kinda buy a surplus. I am not at the point where I am exclusively fly fishing yet. And I'm not even sure I may get to that point.

Thanks for the help

·
I Love microskiff.com!
495 Posts
I'm sure I will eventually get into tying once I get the casting and overall fishing part down but right now my time and patience is limited. LOL
What flies do you recommend? And how would I go about making a purchase. I do have an Orvis store about an hour away but finding the time to get over there is a challenge sometime. What I hope to do is find a few flies that I like and then kinda buy a surplus. I am not at the point where I am exclusively fly fishing yet. And I'm not even sure I may get to that point.

Thanks for the help
Where do you fish mostly? I’d start with some basic shrimp and crab patterns and a few baitfish. You can’t go wrong with natural colors but in muddy water try some bigger flies with some flash that push water. Get some with bead chain eyes and some with lead eyes for different water depths etc

·
Registered
202 Posts
Spacecoastflies.com He has some great patterns and materials as well. Offers 20% off your first order so you can stock up pretty cheap.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Cpurvis I tie flies and have a post in the classified called permit/bonefish Flies if interested in seeing more. There is also alot of other saltwater patterns on that post. Here are some redfish patterns below. If anything look good to you please send me a message. It is a shame but i do notice a lot of fly shops closing their doors. I see more and more people driving 45 mins to get to the fly shops here in Stuart, FL.
IMG_E3773.JPG
IMG_E3775.JPG
61733527_10157326374952812_4556464137844031488_n.jpg
IMG_3148.JPG
IMG_3766.JPG

·
Registered
305 Posts
Cpurvis I tie flies and have a post in the classified called permit/bonefish Flies if interested in seeing more. There is also alot of other saltwater patterns on that post. Here are some redfish patterns below. If anything look good to you please send me a message. It is a shame but i do notice a lot of fly shops closing their doors. I see more and more people driving 45 mins to get to the fly shops here in Stuart, FL.
View attachment 85322 View attachment 85324 View attachment 85326 View attachment 85328 View attachment 85330
Nice work. Do you have a price sheet you can send?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Nice work. Do you have a price sheet you can send?
I don't at the moment. Working on putting a site together so it is easier for everyone to view what I make. Most of what you see above is $5-6ea except for the olive mantis shrimp. Those are $3.50ea. I can do better prices too if you order a pattern in bulk (1dozen).

·
Registered
305 Posts
I don't at the moment. Working on putting a site together so it is easier for everyone to view what I make. Most of what you see above is $5-6ea except for the olive mantis shrimp. Those are $3.50ea. I can do better prices too if you order a pattern in bulk (1dozen).
What is the third one down called?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Interesting. The flys I’ve bought locally that were called kwans don’t have that style head area. Thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
Where do you fish mostly? I’d start with some basic shrimp and crab patterns and a few baitfish. You can’t go wrong with natural colors but in muddy water try some bigger flies with some flash that push water. Get some with bead chain eyes and some with lead eyes for different water depths etc
This last part is great advice.

When you are starting to fill out your fly inventory, you might do better to focus on buying for form and function rather then specific flies. That way you start with a box that is built for multiple species. Impressionistic flies often work better than super realistic flies because they can represent multiple types of bait. For redfish, (and flats fishing in general except top water) I like to start with a fly that rides hook point up. Next I consider size, weight, movement, color and sound in about that order. So a fly like a 2.5 inch tan Clouser has all those attributes except sound. It is a fly that every fisherman should carry a few of. It is generally considered a baitfish imitation but it can catch a lot of fish when they are feeding on shrimp.

My personal favorite impressionistic fly is a jig hook flash tail whistler. It has all the characteristics of the afore mentioned Clouser, but it also pushes a lot of water which fish feel (like sound). It can represent everything. Bait fish, shrimp and crabs. It's my go to for everything, but especially redfish. Carry it in several sizes, weights and colors and you are good to go subsurface in almost every situation. I tie my own, but I have seen them on several online sites, although the jig hook version is less common.

Add a few good top water flies, and you are covered for most species at a low cost. After that, you can fill in with flies that look good to you for specific situations.

https://midcurrent.com/flies/hooks-the-jig-is-up/

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This last part is great advice.

When you are starting to fill out your fly inventory, you might do better to focus on buying for form and function rather then specific flies. That way you start with a box that is built for multiple species. Impressionistic flies often work better than super realistic flies because they can represent multiple types of bait. For redfish, (and flats fishing in general except top water) I like to start with a fly that rides hook point up. Next I consider size, weight, movement, color and sound in about that order. So a fly like a 2.5 inch tan Clouser has all those attributes except sound. It is a fly that every fisherman should carry a few of. It is generally considered a baitfish imitation but it can catch a lot of fish when they are feeding on shrimp.

My personal favorite impressionistic fly is a jig hook flash tail whistler. It has all the characteristics of the afore mentioned Clouser, but it also pushes a lot of water which fish feel (like sound). It can represent everything. Bait fish, shrimp and crabs. It's my go to for everything, but especially redfish. Carry it in several sizes, weights and colors and you are good to go subsurface in almost every situation. I tie my own, but I have seen them on several online sites, although the jig hook version is less common.

Add a few good top water flies, and you are covered for most species at a low cost. After that, you can fill in with flies that look good to you for specific situations.

https://midcurrent.com/flies/hooks-the-jig-is-up/
Thanks for all the helpful information!

·
Registered
3 Posts
For freshwater flies that I use all the time (and often lose) I go shamefully cheap at www.flyshack.com. I don’t fish salt, so I can’t speak to selection or quality. I typically only fish about 5 patterns, and they have them at .79 each. Quality is acceptable for the price and service/shipping has been reliable in my experience.

·
will pole for food
964 Posts
I tried some 239 flies and was disappointed by how bulky they were, creating hardly any hook gap. They also swam funky...either hook point down or even side ways.

I suggest SandBarFlies and/or DestinationFlies. Great looking flies that actually swim right and catch fish. SBF is usually pretty backed up so orders can take a while. Worth the wait.

Orvis sells some of his flies as well as many others. I’ve had their hooks break off though, so be wary.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I tried some 239 flies and was disappointed by how bulky they were, creating hardly any hook gap. They also swam funky...either hook point down or even side ways.

I suggest SandBarFlies and/or DestinationFlies. Great looking flies that actually swim right and catch fish. SBF is usually pretty backed up so orders can take a while. Worth the wait.

Orvis sells some of his flies as well as many others. I’ve had their hooks break off though, so be wary.
While I can't comment on 239 the point you brought up is the reason I tie my own. Being able to adjust sink rate and the way the fly rides are important.
Once you find some patterns that work in your fishery do yourself a favor and get the supplies to replicate them. You will be able to dial the fly in to function better than what you can buy in many instances.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If I didn't tie my own flies I would be looking at talking to people like Shallow Expectations, its obvious to me he has talent. All the patterns he has shown of a kind are consistent in tying and colour. Have you ever bought cheap flies and had success with a pattern only to find the next dozen you order are not the same? All of a sudden that great pale olive is now brown olive, the rootbeer bucktail is now brown and the hooks and weight are not the same. A good fly tyer will dye materials to keep a killing pattern the same. Somebody who can tie you the flies you want, in the weights and colours that catch, is worth paying and supporting.
Thanks for the kinda words. I do find that colors do not always match up. EP is bad about that with their Tan colored materials. Its like they have 3 different tan colors. Just have to take the time to pick the right materials if you can. I will not buy any cabelas materials. Always crap and the colors are always off.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts