Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Beavertail Mosquito
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been considering buying a skiff for a while now. I have an old 14' boston waler that I pulled around Homosassa and Charleston. I primarly fly fish so fishing out of that boat was not fun. I have been researching many new boats like the whipray, waterman, beavertail, and evo. I want to be able to fit three people on the boat and wont complain if its a little cramped. Any insight on the skiff market would help. I will primarly be fishing Homosassa and the Keys. I want a shallow draft because most of the fishing I do is in skinny water. My budget is 45k. As I already mentioned I dont know a lot about skiffs so any insight would be mush apreciated.

·
Registered
2020 BT Micro
583 Posts
1. Buy used or be prepared to wait.
2. Get out on some skiffs, every one of them are different.
3. fitting 3 and fishing 3 people are two different tasks. For instance I run a BT Micro and as long as I own it it's a 2 person max skiff.
4. You have a great budget, spend some time looking

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2021 Xplor X18P
631 Posts
To start search this site before you ask this question. It literally contains decades worth and thousands of this very type of post. You will start to determine the “must have” and “nice to have” features and benefits for your budget and performance requirements. Everything is a compromise to a point. Narrow down the more obvious needs and then you will get a great deal of input from MS and be able to ask the “right” questions.
Good Luck

·
Registered
2020 BT Micro
583 Posts
Also understand that there are microskiffs/ technical poling skiffs and then there are flats boats. It's my opinion that the MS/TPS is more of a specialized tool for specific tasks and the flats boats are more of al all around, do lots of tasks adequately, get it done tool. Determine what your gonna ask of it then start looking for the right tool.
Like I said before my BT Micro is awesome for me, pretty good with two guys, but three is a no go for several reasons (hp, stabilty, storage, room). I downsized from an awesome 20 foot flats boat to the Micro to fit my specific needs and I'm glad I did....but I can't ask the Micro to do the same jobs the flats boat did and the flats boat performed a lot of tasks well.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I have "Evolved" into a Mod-V Tunnel Alumacraft I feel very safe in it (My G-noe scared the crap out of me) but I think you have better tastes than either one of those Look At a Sabine !

·
Registered
04 HB Professional
25 Posts
I also agree with making sure you do some research on this website as well as other websites to ensure you get what you want.
With that budget you can find something really nice!

·
Registered
Beavertail Mosquito
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1. Buy used or be prepared to wait.
2. Get out on some skiffs, every one of them are different.
3. fitting 3 and fishing 3 people are two different tasks. For instance I run a BT Micro and as long as I own it it's a 2 person max skiff.
4. You have a great budget, spend some time looking
Do you have any recomendations for sites to look at for all skiffs?

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
You need a Conchfish 17 with a compression tunnel! Do you live in Homosassa?

·
Registered
2020 BT Micro
583 Posts
I was gonna recommend contact JC Designs because he is in your area...lo and behold he posted here already....seriously, contact JC he is a huge resource on this site and can steer you in the right direction

·
Registered
Beavertail Mosquito
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ive been considering buying a skiff for a while now. I have an old 14' boston waler that I pulled around Homosassa and Charleston. I primarly fly fish so fishing out of that boat was not fun. I have been researching many new boats like the whipray, waterman, beavertail, and evo. I want to be able to fit three people on the boat and wont complain if its a little cramped. Any insight on the skiff market would help. I will primarly be fishing Homosassa and the Keys. I want a shallow draft because most of the fishing I do is in skinny water. My budget is 45k. As I already mentioned I dont know a lot about skiffs so any insight would be mush apreciated.
Another thing I should mention is that I live in Wisconsin but go down to Florida quite often to fish. I sight fish carp in lake michigan but that doesnt require as much technical stuff for a boat that Florida does. Living here prevents me from getting on the water and testing boats. That is why I need to get as much info as can so I can make a good decision.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2021 Xplor X18P
631 Posts
Another thing I should mention is that I live in Wisconsin but go down to Florida quite often to fish. I sight fish carp in lake michigan but that doesnt require as much technical stuff for a boat that Florida does. Living here prevents me from getting on the water and testing boats. That is why I need to get as much info as can so I can make a good decision.
I’m in Sarasota. Would be happy to give you a ride to get some ideas if you are ever in the area. I currently own a 18’9” 2021 Xplor 18P skiff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts