Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Curious as to what folks are using to slick up their trailer bunks....
Do a search in this site and you will find a wealth of information on bunk lubrication:)

Reactions: Fishshoot

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Reactions: not2shabby

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,727 Posts
Don't use Sex Wax! I had a bad experience at the ramp at Outdoor World a few weeks ago--couldn't get the boat off the trailer and was holding people up (I felt like a jerk). Seems like it turned sticky over the two weeks from the time I applied it. I've gone back to liquid rollers. Just be careful!

·
Registered
98’ Whipray
376 Posts
Don't use Sex Wax! I had a bad experience at the ramp at Outdoor World a few weeks ago--couldn't get the boat off the trailer and was holding people up (I felt like a jerk). Seems like it turned sticky over the two weeks from the time I applied it. I've gone back to liquid rollers. Just be careful!
LoL that was you! Don’t forget I got your outboard running too! I remember my first time launching a boat..:D

·
Registered
310 Posts
Liquid rollers
I have been able to control the launch with liquid rollers very well. I have to be cognisensent of landing my skiff as the skiff wants to slide off backwards if there is not enough throttle to keep her on the slippery bunks, so I have to throtell it to keep it in gear while I shuffle about to get off. No issues with the steering locked down, she don't jump off the trailer. She keeps me young!!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
172 Posts
I have been able to control the launch with liquid rollers very well. I have to be cognisensent of landing my skiff as the skiff wants to slide off backwards if there is not enough throttle to keep her on the slippery bunks, so I have to throtell it to keep it in gear while I shuffle about to get off. No issues with the steering locked down, she don't jump off the trailer. She keeps me young!!
Just spray on the rear 2/3rds of your bunks, not the whole bunk, so that the front 1/3 will grip the bottom of the boat a little bit.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I can also say from first hand experience that Sex Wax should not be eaten. Good on surfboards, bad on the GI tract. Sometimes I feel like the purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,171 Posts
When I do have to put my boat on the trailer, I usually spray the front 1/2 of the front bunks with Liquid Rollers. My local ramp is pretty steep and Vantage sticks to the trailer pretty good otherwise. Launching isn't the issue as I can always sink the trailer if I need to but recovering is where I like to have some lube on the front bunks. I try to get the back roller just underwater which equals the wheels about half way wet. Any deeper and there isn't enough trailer to catch and guide the boat smoothly up.

I don't get my panties in a wad about getting the trailer wet. I always spray it down after a dunking and periodically will even take the wheels off to clean and lube the hubs and wheel studs. A little PM goes a long way.

·
Panhandler
3,789 Posts
Prior threads have outlined the harmful effects of Liquid Roller's chemical ingredients on water, fish and humans. With the growing concern for water quality and habitat issues, using this product sure seems counter-productive, especially when there's a cheap and natural alternative lubrication--Gulf wax. I'm still working on the original box I bought two years ago.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.