Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have to redo my bunks as carpet is worn. I know nothing about the carpet. Any quality differences in manufacturers/brands. Is it work paying for 16 lb carpet vs 14 lb? Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
12,036 Posts
I get that
Some people use starboard
Some people use rollers
Some people use carpet

All have there own problems. Ive heard of rollers making dimples in hull bottoms.
I was just bustin your chops. I thought about putting a couple of layers of fire hose on first then two layers of carpet over it. Might act like a buffer.
I got about 1000 feet of fire hose fron the local fire department because they retire hose after a certain amount of time. It makes awesome ******* ice chest hinges for those crappy old $20 Igloo chests that you forget to latch and the wind blows the lid off and breaks the hinges before it hits the widshield of the car following you too closely...

·
Panhandler
2,686 Posts
The heavier/thicker marine grade carpet will last much longer than the cheap stuff you get at the big box stores and offers more padding, too. I wrap the bunks around the edges/ends and use stainless steel staples to attach. Leave a sizable strip of wood exposed on the bottom side of the bunks to allow drainage and moisture evaporation. I ordered cypress from the local lumberyard to add centering bunks to my former flats boat trailer. Never had another issue or replaced the bunk carpeting for the several years I owned the trailer before selling the boat. And that was with a heavy boat and constant use.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I used indoor/outdoor carpeting from Home Depot two boats ago. You can buy the rolls of carpet online. Places like Academy, BPS and Norther Tool all carry, but you have to buy the SS staples to mount. Local trailer places here sell bunks already carpeted. You just have to mount with bolts from underside. Good Luck!

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
12,036 Posts
I’m adding two center bunks to my trailer and using that fire hose I have had in the shop for several years. It looks brand new. I may end up using Gulf Wax on the rear portion of the bunks if it isn’t easy to slide the boat off. After years of poling and running over shell my hull bottom can’t be hurt by much else. I may do some MarineTex work in a couple of areas while I’m under there. I will post pics if it turns out nice. If it looks like shit I’ll spare myself the comments...:cautious:

·
BBA Counselor
7,209 Posts
I can't tell you how it will do on a boat, but I have a little experience with fire hose. After using and loading thousands of feet each year I can tell you without gloves it will chew through the skin on the back of your hands pretty quickly. Basically it's a bad rug burn, but 3 times worse.
If you are talking about rubber jacketed, that's a bit different, but I don't think it would launch easily.
For my cash, cheap ol' grey indoor/outdoor carpet from HD does well in a pinch. Double it up it you need more cushion.

·
Banned
1,441 Posts
Last i bought from bass pro , sun ate it up. Go to a local marine carpet store. Most carpet stores can order anything.
a few folks up here run corregated drain pipe mostly carolina type skiffs.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
12,036 Posts
I can't tell you how it will do on a boat, but I have a little experience with fire hose. After using and loading thousands of feet each year I can tell you without gloves it will chew through the skin on the back of your hands pretty quickly. Basically it's a bad rug burn, but 3 times worse.
If you are talking about rubber jacketed, that's a bit different, but I don't think it would launch easily.
For my cash, cheap ol' grey indoor/outdoor carpet from HD does well in a pinch. Double it up it you need more cushion.
I’m only using it on the center bunks so I can run the boat up on the trailer easier. The outside main bunks and front bunks have carpet. I’m going to wax them and it should be fine. I’ll post photos.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts