Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to redo my bunks as carpet is worn. I know nothing about the carpet. Any quality differences in manufacturers/brands. Is it work paying for 16 lb carpet vs 14 lb? Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Brandon, FL
10,094 Posts
Its all cheap and it all wears out. Whatever you choose you will be redoing it a couple years from now.

I do as smack says and I round the corners to reduce the pinch point where it always seems to wear the most.

·
Brandon, FL
10,094 Posts
I get that
Some people use starboard
Some people use rollers
Some people use carpet

All have there own problems. Ive heard of rollers making dimples in hull bottoms.
Get dirt from the roads and it becomes sandpaper without periodic washing.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,276 Posts
I get that
Some people use starboard
Some people use rollers
Some people use carpet

All have there own problems. Ive heard of rollers making dimples in hull bottoms.
I was just bustin your chops. I thought about putting a couple of layers of fire hose on first then two layers of carpet over it. Might act like a buffer.
I got about 1000 feet of fire hose fron the local fire department because they retire hose after a certain amount of time. It makes awesome redneck ice chest hinges for those crappy old $20 Igloo chests that you forget to latch and the wind blows the lid off and breaks the hinges before it hits the widshield of the car following you too closely...

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,415 Posts
The heavier/thicker marine grade carpet will last much longer than the cheap stuff you get at the big box stores and offers more padding, too. I wrap the bunks around the edges/ends and use stainless steel staples to attach. Leave a sizable strip of wood exposed on the bottom side of the bunks to allow drainage and moisture evaporation. I ordered cypress from the local lumberyard to add centering bunks to my former flats boat trailer. Never had another issue or replaced the bunk carpeting for the several years I owned the trailer before selling the boat. And that was with a heavy boat and constant use.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I used indoor/outdoor carpeting from Home Depot two boats ago. You can buy the rolls of carpet online. Places like Academy, BPS and Norther Tool all carry, but you have to buy the SS staples to mount. Local trailer places here sell bunks already carpeted. You just have to mount with bolts from underside. Good Luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts