Bull bay/turtle bay

Discussion in 'Florida Gulf Coast' started by Unplugged, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Unplugged

Unplugged Active Member

I'm going down to fish with an old friend at the end of this month.We are going to fish bull and turtle bay.Does anyone have some knowledge they want to share?I'm taking my 15' maverick hpx so I'll be able fish skinny water.
    Thx.

2. trailblazerEXT

trailblazerEXT I Love microskiff.com!

In open water it's tarpon time &/ or bull sharks. Fishing mangrove shorelines where there are cuts & tidal flow plenty of snook & reds. Trout early morns in cooler deeper waters.

3. Unplugged

Unplugged Active Member

Thanks for the reply.I'll post pics

4. Backcountry 16

Backcountry 16 Well-Known Member

Where are you putting in at crossings Charlotte harbor can be rough I have a 18 foot action craft and it can get really rough with boat traffic and wind. The west bank has been hold snook and redfish remember safety first. To many people are killed in Florida waters every year

5. Unplugged

Unplugged Active Member

6. Unplugged

Unplugged Active Member

I know launching at placida park.

7. Unplugged

Unplugged Active Member

I know it's a week out but,they are calling for ESE winds. If it is choppy, can I run down the east side in the morning? I noticed it will be low tide.

8. trailblazerEXT

Since tarpon season is getting in full swing if you miss getting to a parking spot real early at the Placida Boat Ramp, Eldred's Bait Shop & ramp is another couple hundred feet down the rod. After getting out into Gasparilla Sound where the most winds will be & going under the Boca Toll Bridge running down the east side ought to be fine. Not too many negative low tides like in winter when NE winds blow water out of the harbors & have to watch for oyster bars trying to run in 1 1/2' or less.

9. Unplugged

Unplugged Active Member

Thanks for ur input.I'm leaving Wilmington,NC friday morning.Plan on getting ramp and 630.is that early enough?Are fishing Saturday or Sunday back there?my cell 9102790652.

10. Unplugged

Unplugged Active Member

Any certain lure or color I should be throwing? I'm strictly artificial.

I'm very safe. I fish the Cape Fear River. And that thing is scary.

11. Backcountry 16

I would cross
    You should be fine getting there around 630 but wouldn't get there much later boat ramps are few and far between down here.

12. Backcountry 16

I will probably be over there Saturday I will text you if I am.

13. trailblazerEXT

Scary would be trying to go thru the Pass at the top of the tide in a 15' flats skiff while they're all tarpon fishing. Usually just flyfish, but pass crabs are brown & pinfish or whitebait are usual table fare of snook & reds.

UnitedFly likes this.
  14. Unplugged

Unplugged Active Member

I'm not going to the pass.I'm going to stay shallow and in protected areas.
    If ur back there,this will be me.

Attached Files:

15. trailblazerEXT

16. Unplugged

Unplugged Active Member

I'm going to bring my 6 and 8 weight also. I have some small crab and shrimp patterns. I'll bring some white clousers also.

17. trailblazerEXT

Sparse green or olive over white Clousers are also good as are shrimp patterns. Tarpon are #1/0 - #3/0 purple over black EP flies early morns if there's a #10 -#12 fly rod. White Schminnows in #1 & #2 plus Kwans & Merkins for crabs & as for when winds get howling 20-30; DOA shrimp, Yozuri or Mirro-Lures are good artificials .

18. Unplugged

Unplugged Active Member

Could there be small Tarpon back there?