building raised front deck ADVICE NEEDED.

Discussion in 'Bragging Spot' started by Panamakid, May 16, 2018.

1. Panamakid

Panamakid I Love microskiff.com!

Hi everyone,
    I am not sure if this is the correct section to ask but, I am interested in adding a raised front deck to my Carolina Skiff. I have attached a picture with dimensions.
    I have some fiberglass experience using epoxy (west system or system 4). I plan to use 1/2" marine plywood. The deck spans 78" across and 48" bow towards the stern. I need it to hold 2 grown men.
    • What size structural bracing you recommend?
    • I plan to glass/epoxy all sides of the marine plywood. Any recommendations on how many layers and of what weight cloth?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  2. Panamakid

I would like to add as little weight as possible.
    • Do you think 1/2" marine ply is too thick?
    • I think I can do this project with one sheet of ply. Any idea on how much epoxy and filler I need to order?

3. yobata

yobata I Love microskiff.com!

On my build, I made the front deck 6 foot long, and it spaned probably 58 at its widest. It was made using 3/8" marine ply. With epoxy, I used 12oz biax on the bottom of the deck and 6oz cloth on top. There are 3 supports spanning from gunnel to gunnel and two 1"x2" supports from bow to bulkhead. Here is a pic (red lines indicate the 1x2 supports as I didn't photograph these. Cut notches in the bulkheads/support that go from gunnel to gunnel to embed the 1x2s):
    front deck supports1.jpg

I'm a big man and have been on the deck with a buddy who is also 200#+

4. Panamakid

What material is the bracing (ply)? What kind of wood were the 1x2's?

5. yobata

bracing was 3/8" marine ply (same as the deck), the 1x2s were southern yellow pine (no fiberglass on those, but 3 coats of neat epoxy on them).

6. Boatbrains

Boatbrains Well-Known Member

I’m gonna let the guys with more experience building with wood take this one. If you decide on composite I’ll share my thoughts. Looking forward to seeing the progress though.

7. Panamakid

Yobata,
    Thank you for the info. I am reading your thread on the Johnsen-Starfish Build.
    • Can you recommend a brand of epoxy?
    I would like to start ordering supplies and start getting ready.
    • I am curious how you made the template of cardboard. As you can see from my picture I have a few off angles to deal with.

8. yobata

I used epoxy from Boat Builder Central - MarinEpoxy. Its a 2:1 mix. I liked working with it, minimal "blush" effect. While you are there, buy wood flour as your thickening agent to make fillets etc. Its pretty cheap, maybe $5/lbs??

For the templates: cut a piece of cardboard straight, and use a scrap piece of wood and drill a hole about 2" from the end, stick a marker/pencil thru the hole, and run the wood/marker along the gunnel shape against the cardboard to make the compound shape... Hope that makes sense

NativeBone and Boatbrains like this.
  9. Panamakid

Boat Brains,
    I am not familiar with the composites. I am in Jacksonville Florida and made several calls and was unable to find small quantities of Coosa. I am open to suggestions.
    • How do they compare to weight and cost of using wood?
    • It is not a huge project so it doesn't seem like the cost would be too crazy.
    • Are the composite options structurally strong like ply?

10. Boatbrains

The composites are, just a different layup process. Coosa isn’t needed for a deck. You could get away using the nidacore. It would be the cheapest of them. On a deck that size a 1” core with two layers 1708 on each side and no bracing needed except on cockpit edge. It should weigh in about the same as the ply but be lighter because you won’t need added bracing.

Cut Runner likes this.
  11. Panamakid

Nidacore looks interesting. Is there a number other than 1/2" I should look for?

12. Travis Smith

Travis Smith Well-Known Member

Just use 3/8 meranti ply from bateau.com

Get marine epoxy from them and wood flour. If you’re in Jacksonville I’d be willing to help you out. I am in Jax too

I definitely wouldn’t go composite route due to weight to strength. If you’re going to leave it open underneath run bracing as stated above. And epoxy everything

And don’t use expensive west systems or system 3. Not worth the money

Backcountry 16, yobata and Boatbrains like this.
  13. Boatbrains

If Travis will help and you already have the experience with wood then that is a great offer and you’ll knock it out fast. With the nidacore you’ll want the 1” to do clearspan with layup with 2 layers 1708 or 1700 if epoxy. Travis, this layup and core will be as light and strong as the wood. Probably cost about the same either way. Wood is great if done properly, I just prefer the composites myself.

14. Travis Smith

Or we can build a one off cap that goes right into it

15. Panamakid

Thanks, everyone for the advice. Travis, I appreciate the offer. Any expertise you can offer is appreciated.

16. Panamakid

I am going to start ordering materials. Can anyone advise me on how much materials to order?

If you have any other must haves or tools that help make the process go smoother let me know.
    • Epoxy/hardner kit- how much? One Gallon?
    • Filler - 3lbs?
    • fiberglass cloth (12oz biax on the bottom and 6oz cloth on top) I found 50" wide X 15' rolls.
    • fiberglass tape - What sizes?
    • chip brushes - 20
    • gloves 100
    • spreader knives
    • acetone
    • rollers
    • sandpaper
    • grinder wheels
    • Gelcoat or topside paint?
    • I think I need 2 sheets of marine plywood 3/8" . ( I will use cheap plywood for templates)

I am glassing both sides of the ply. Topdeck is 48" x 72" (slightly less due to angles near bow). Bulkhead is a small area 78" at the top, 60" at the bottom, and 15" tall. I plan to cut out holes for two hatches 10 " X 24". Plus the bracing supports, not sure what size those will be.

- Thanks

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  17. yobata

I don't think you need 15' rolls of the fiberglass, BoatBuilderCentral can cut it by the yard (50" wide). Also, I would get at least a 1.5gallon kit. For the tape, use 6" wide 12oz tape. Also, I would opt for a 2 part paint instead of gelcoat since you will be using epoxy...

18. Panamakid

ok, I am ordering cloth and i see 0/90 or 45/45. not sure what is needed for decks. I have googled it and it says one direction is stronger. Almost like the grain in a board.

19. Panamakid

[​IMG]
    If there is anything I should change please let me know.
    I thought I was doing this project for $400 in materials but I think I will exceed $600 with the paint, plywood, hatches, cleats, and rod holders. Oh well, it will be worth it in the end.

20. Travis Smith

You don’t want 1208.. you want regular 12 oz biaxial

yobata and Boatbrains like this.