Building my own boat

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by cpauly33, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Fairly new to the boards but I've been reading for awhile. Been trying to find the right boat for the right price last couple months and just having no luck. I think I want to try my hand at building my own boat after looking some others have built.

For my first go at it I'd like to keep it fairly simple so I think I'm going to buy some plans from Bateau. I'm looking at the FS12 model. Looks like a nice little skiff for a first time. But I would like to extend it to 14' and do the layout of the interior a little different. Bigger front deck, lose the middle seat, pretty standard layout.

How difficult would this be to accomplish for my first build?

2. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

It's fairly simple to build, but I wouldn't extend the plans. Some of there plans allow for up to 10% adjustment at most. Why not just buy the plans for the FS14? since that is what you will end up with.

If you build it exactly as the plans state it will be easy, if you try to go custome your first time you will run into challenges. In the future I may build an FS17, after meeting jaque you can trust his designs are well thought out.

3. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

Why not go with the FS14? I would not try to scale a boat on a first build, there are too many things that can go wrong.

From what I can tell Bateau is good source for plans and those two (FS12/14) are good first builds. But there are also many other designers out there so don't limit yourself to just Bateau. I did a lot of research on building boats but decided building wasn't for me. ;)

I'm sure some of the seasoned builders jump in... Good luck!

4. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Most of these types of skiffs are simple builds and if you buy plans it will be pretty straightforward.

Gramps has the idea. There are many places to get plans from. A search will have you drowning in designs.

If you can find a project that has full size plans make it that much easier. Trace, cut, glue, paint, use.

5. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

That is a great little boat. It is a very easy build. You will like it and after you build it you can modify and customize all you want.

Frank_S

6. I didn't even see the plans for the FS14. That would work just fine. The interior looks pretty good at that length.

Where would be the best place to start looking at material costs?

7. firecat1981

you really gotta ask these questions on the bateau.com forum and the designer himself will answer. I am willing to bet there is an open layout design included in the plans.

8. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

They are calling it the FastSkiff now.

http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=FS14

Two of my friends (brothers) built this model. With a 9.9 Tohatsu it will plane and run fast enough for most. With a 25 it would be a thrill ride.

Frank_S

9. Looks like I edited my post while you were typing yours. After seeing real pictures of the FS14 I kinda like the layout. Is there any good places to look at materials besides Bateau's mat store? Any place local in the SW Florida area?

10. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Chris,

On their site when you click the picture there is the info. They have prices for two different epoxy-fiberglass kits and if you want it to be real simple, but the plywood kit. Precut to perfection just like a model when you were a kid...just bigger.

Various lumberyards will carry the materials and it can save you a little, but if you buy it from them you get everything you need at once. Easy peasy.

11. Thanks for the advise so far. The more I look into it the better this all sounds. I probably will just order the Epoxy kit from Bateau.

With the Plywood how necessary is it to use the expensive stuff they suggest? Could I just use regular or maybe even treated plywood and still turn out a nice boat that will last me 3-5 years? I know I'll run into trouble eventually because the of the lower grade materials but I'm ok with that.

12. firecat1981

You can use exterior ply, but don't use any pressure treated wood. Bateau.com has an explanation. If you want the boat to last a lifetime use good ply, if you want to to last 5 years, maybe more, use exterior ply.

read this
    http://www.bateau2.com/howto/marine_ply.php

13. That's great news. Thank you.

I order a set of plans. I'm sure I'll have more questions once they get here.

14. They offer 2 Epoxy-Fiberglass kits for the boat. Is the more expensive SilverTip worth the price difference? What is the difference?

15. twitch

twitch Well-Known Member

IMO Silvertip isn't worth the extra $$$. IIRC, it is a low/no blush resin, which isn't that big of a problem with proper prep. It does wet out heavier biax easier than some other epoxies, although I doubt you are gonna anything heavier than 17 oz, so it is a moot point.

16. So I went to look at plywood today. The good exterior wood that you suggested. Bateau says I need 3 sheets of 3/8 (10mm) plywood. The store near me only offers 11/32 (8.7mm) or 15/32 (11.9mm). Which would you suggest? Is it going to make following the plans any more difficult without the exact wood suggested?

17. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Conversion 1 inch = 25.4 millimeters exactly

so 3/8 x 25.4 = 9.52 mm

15/32 x 25.4 = 11.9 mm

11/32 x 25.4 = 8.73 mm

Looks like you can use the 11/32 if you want to.
    Add a layer of 6 ounce fiberglass cloth to the exterior of the hull
    and you'll have a panel stronger than the thicker wood alone.
    The thinner wood will flex about the same.

18. firecat1981

Yep Brett's got it. the 11/32 will do just fine. But be careful of the wood you buy, look at the stack and make sure it doesn't have a rediculous amount of voids. If you can't find anything good at the big box stores try the lumber yards or cabinet shops around you. Also you will need to fill any voids you find with thickened epoxy. Not a big deal but it needs to be done.

19. oysterbreath

oysterbreath Well-Known Member

Chris, I don't think Bataue offers an OPEN version of the FS14. Another option is the Sandy straight 14 from Bowdidge. It IS an open design. It's an awesome design and is comparable to the FS14 but is a bit wider and the plans cost a little more as I recall. IMHO the construction is slightly more straight forward and the plans are more comprehensive. I've seen plans for both.

http://www.bowdidgemarinedesigns.com/Bowdidge_Marine_Designs_1/Sandy_Strait_14.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. WhiteDog70810

WhiteDog70810 Mostly Harmless

I am using MarinEpoxy from Bateau which is usually included in their cheaper kits. It does good work. I couldn't justify SilverTip after reading the MarinEpoxy reviews.

Nate