Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I Heart microskiff.com!
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace the 3/4" wood decking and supports that fit over the front and rear seats for a canoe used for poling.  My thoughts are fiberglass and some sort of structural core material.  The problem I see is the decks overhang the gunnel supports by approximately 6" on one end, and I'm not sure if fiberglass around a core material will hold up and still offer a weight savings. 

Can anyone recommend a core material and what type of cloth to use.  The current deck is 3/4" ply wood with one vertical support on the end that overhangs.  The rest of the support comes from a ridge of wood that runs along the gunnel on either side, which is the original supports for the seats.

Thanks,
Ken

·
Light, Strong, Cheap. Pick Two.
1,385 Posts
1/2" divynal with 1708 biaxial on both sides is stronger than 1/2" marine ply.   it should suffice just fine.   There are tons of online retailers. A boat repair comapny will also be able to sell you the materials.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
247 Posts
Ken, im right up the street from you. If you find a local retailer for core material and/or epoxy resin (not poly) please let me know. Ive tried everywhere around Winston.

·
I Heart microskiff.com!
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't taken the time to look, but I don't think there is anyone local to the W-S/Gboro area that have core material. I'm just going to order online and pay the shipping.

·
1,385 Posts
Ken, If you havent worked with core before there is a good chance you will mess it up. I would work with a local fibergalss repair company if possible to build what you want. You have to bed the core to the fiberglass properly or it will delaminate. There is also probably a to of youtube videos on this you could consult.

·
1,385 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6Gc7OtdCBY

Here is a large scale application. The putty is a mixture of 3M microbaloons and resin. mix the hardner into the resin/baloon mixture. trowel it on. wet the back side of the core with resin. put the core on and roll out as much of the air bubbles as possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts