building casting deck out of fiberglass and core

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by browndogrods, Jul 29, 2014.

1. browndogrods

browndogrods I Heart microskiff.com!

Looking to replace the 3/4" wood decking and supports that fit over the front and rear seats for a canoe used for poling.  My thoughts are fiberglass and some sort of structural core material.  The problem I see is the decks overhang the gunnel supports by approximately 6" on one end, and I'm not sure if fiberglass around a core material will hold up and still offer a weight savings. 

Can anyone recommend a core material and what type of cloth to use.  The current deck is 3/4" ply wood with one vertical support on the end that overhangs.  The rest of the support comes from a ridge of wood that runs along the gunnel on either side, which is the original supports for the seats.

Thanks,
    Ken

2. browndogrods

Can anyone recommend a retailer with knowledge that could supply materials and assist?

3. CurtisWright

CurtisWright Light, Strong, Cheap. Pick Two.

1/2" divynal with 1708 biaxial on both sides is stronger than 1/2" marine ply.   it should suffice just fine.   There are tons of online retailers. A boat repair comapny will also be able to sell you the materials.

4. browndogrods

5. erikb85

erikb85 I Love microskiff.com!

Ken, im right up the street from you. If you find a local retailer for core material and/or epoxy resin (not poly) please let me know. Ive tried everywhere around Winston.

6. browndogrods

I haven't taken the time to look, but I don't think there is anyone local to the W-S/Gboro area that have core material. I'm just going to order online and pay the shipping.

7. tkreitler

tkreitler I Love microskiff.com!

I looked when I was doing my Riverhawk and couldn't find anything locally. I have since found this company but haven't talked to them.

Northern Composites
    114 E. Meadowview Rd.
    Greensboro, NC 27406
    Phone (336) 373-5933
    http://www.northerncomposites.com/

8. CurtisWright

Ken, If you havent worked with core before there is a good chance you will mess it up. I would work with a local fibergalss repair company if possible to build what you want. You have to bed the core to the fiberglass properly or it will delaminate. There is also probably a to of youtube videos on this you could consult.

9. CurtisWright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6Gc7OtdCBY

Here is a large scale application. The putty is a mixture of 3M microbaloons and resin. mix the hardner into the resin/baloon mixture. trowel it on. wet the back side of the core with resin. put the core on and roll out as much of the air bubbles as possible.

10. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Ken, there is a platform in the for sale section that might suit you.