Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Fly-By-Night
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been needing a casting platform for my Low Tide, living in the sticks in NW FL there are limited options with regards to good aluminium fab shops, and I'm not buying anything from a shop I've never been to Sight-un-seen. I luckily have a good friend Joe, a couple blocks away that has a nice custom fab and metal shop. His projects are usually much larger (large t tops, commercial boats, industrial stuff). But he agreed to take the time, we discussed the goal then we got to work laying out, and making a template. I wanted the platform to follow the curve of the boat so we rolled the side pieces and also the front to match the same radius. Built a lean bar that can be mounted front or back. Platform is 38"w across the back tapering in front x 20" high.
A while back we had a thread showcasing poor welding, I've included some up close photos to show what it's supposed to look like. You'll notice (maybe not) this material is straight mill finish product and not anodized, that is because it'll be taken for powder coating soon, and then get sea dek. Same scheme to match the carbon marine stuff already on my boat. Rubber feet are on order also.
LH

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Nice work, very nice. Can I ask a serious question?
I have never understood the reason for casting platforms.
Some are 12", some are 20" like yours.
What is the deal with stepping up on a 12"-20" pedestal when one can cast off the deck?
Does it make that much difference, 12"/20"/just having one?
Thanks again,
Jim

·
Fly-By-Night
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice work, very nice. Can I ask a serious question?
Some are 12", some are 20" like yours.
What is the deal with stepping up on a 12"-20" pedestal when one can cast off the deck?
Does it make that much difference, 12"/20"/just having one?
Thanks again,
Jim
I'll start by saying this one is taller than avg.
It gets you up higher and gives you a better angle looking down into the water, allowing you to spot fish easier and further away. It helps the guy on the front of the boat be able to see the fish at the same distance as the guy poling the boat. I built this one 20" high because that's approx the height of the cooler that has been used until now. The disadvantage being, that when you're on the platform you have a larger silhouette and are more easily spotted by fish, sometimes it you have a fish spotted too close it helps to squat down and reduce your size/shadow. If I decide this one is too high, I can just trim the legs down to lower it.

Hope that helps.
LH

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Ok I understand and though so to some extent, thanks. Just couldn't fully connect as to why w/that short of elevation, and back in the day, we never had these types of accommodations and still caught plenty of fish. Thanks again, but I do want to build one to pole off of for the back of my skiff one day.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,426 Posts
Like LH says, its all about visibility.

Also...if you are throwing fly, it also helps get you up off the deck so you aren't stepping on or around your line.

Reactions: Rollbar

·
Fly-By-Night
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anytime you're ready. I had to solo it Saturday, went 3 for 4 on reds by the shrimp farm on spoon fly.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,715 Posts
Looks really good! I love how it follows the lines of the hull. What are your plans for line management?

Some of my buddies like to use a cooler as a platform, but I find that my fly line always ends up in the water when I'm that high up. Do you have room in front of the platform to use a basket? I love the idea of a platform for visibility, but I think I would have to figure out something for my line.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks @bryson I was using a cooler for a while and wanted something with a little more real estate. Redfisher 18 is one of my favorite boats, with the beam/room you have on that Lappy you could probably build a really roomy platform. My boat is 74" wide at its widest point.

I left enough room in front for a large stripping bucket, and there is approx 13" down each side of the platform for walking around if needed fighting a fish. I plan on using my hip mounted stripping basket, but if it proves uncomfortable, I've thought about 2 different options, I'm going to either add swivel mounts for an arm to hold a bucket, on the rear side of the front legs to prevent snags, and so i can swap it to either side (my bro in law is a lefty). Or, option 2 mount a stripping basket to the front of the sissy bar (bar can be mounted front or back) that way if it's not needed I can just flip the bar around and then the basket is behind me and out of the way.
LH

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,145 Posts
Ok I understand and though so to some extent, thanks. Just couldn't fully connect as to why w/that short of elevation, and back in the day, we never had these types of accommodations and still caught plenty of fish. Thanks again, but I do want to build one to pole off of for the back of my skiff one day.
The ratio is every foot higher you can see about ten feet further so yes, spotting a fish ten feet sooner is huge! 90% of poling skiffs have them for a reason!

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
The ratio is every foot higher you can see about ten feet further so yes, spotting a fish ten feet sooner is huge! 90% of poling skiffs have them for a reason!
Oh ok, never had it put to me that way-totally understand now, thank you.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,799 Posts
I use my Yeti, seems high enough. Use that Walmart laundry basket to manage line

Reactions: trekker

·
Registered
33 Posts
Another benefit when you are higher, you also have a more vertical view into the water - less probability of missing fish (or anything else) because of glare, even when wearing polarized lenses. (says a guy whose balance is so bad he hates platforms).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts