Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all from not so sunny Jacksonville, FL. I acquired this little bundle of joy from a neighbor at $1 (to make it easier) a couple of months back. I am in the process of having FWC come and inspect it as so get her titled (no visible HIN or make markings). I'd like to go ahead and strip this aluminum rub rail and rusted fittings. My question to you all is, should I drill all of these rivets out or is there a better method?

Thanks,

-e

Attachments

B

·
0 Posts
Drill’em! Or, if your not gonna re use the rub rail you can grind the heads off and push them through! Cool little boat!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the skiff love. I pressure washed her all out, so no more leaves and grime. Whiskey got the best of me, so I'll try both drilling and grinding later today and report back on my method of mayhem.

Thanks

-e

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update, per the advice of Steve_Mevers, for which I am grateful, I finally got in touch with an FWC officer (via phone) to get a "other than home built" hull inspection. We spoke back and forth describing the hull (no motor, no trailor, no previous record available of title or registration, though it appears it used to have an engine hung on it). I was informed that I should try and get it titled through my local tax collectors office with my bill of sale and identifying paperwork etc., because it is not required for FWC to inspect a hull under 16' in length. Has anyone done this before? I appreciate any and all feedback. It's a pretty sweet little boat and I'd love the opportunity to make her my first.

Thanks,

-e

·
Registered
514 Posts
Update, per the advice of Steve_Mevers, for which I am grateful, I finally got in touch with an FWC officer (via phone) to get a "other than home built" hull inspection. We spoke back and forth describing the hull (no motor, no trailor, no previous record available of title or registration, though it appears it used to have an engine hung on it). I was informed that I should try and get it titled through my local tax collectors office with my bill of sale and identifying paperwork etc., because it is not required for FWC to inspect a hull under 16' in length. Has anyone done this before? I appreciate any and all feedback. It's a pretty sweet little boat and I'd love the opportunity to make her my first.

Thanks,

-e
Last time I did it all I needed to do was fill out one paper and it was good enough for them. The wait for my turn was longer than the whole titling process.

·
Brandon, FL
10,139 Posts

Thanks,

-e
I brought a boat down from MI that was on a farm pond its entire life and never registered from the day it came out of the mold. The process was easy and I too have an "unknown" boat.

But it has been so long I could not tell you the process, but it was easy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the upbeat CodyW and DuckNut. Started sanding her, apparently it's the original transom, which surprises me because it's stout. I still plan on replacing it. Here's a few hours of sanding. Wondering about how to take care of the rolled gunnels when I get there.

Sidenote, it appears a previous owner laid a thick layer of latex paint down... cuz it keeps gunking up my sanding pads, smearing and coming off like gum rubber...

Attachments

·
Fly-By-Night
3,138 Posts
Get some paint stripper, not the normal kind because it'll melt your gelcoat & the polyester resin. Get some stuff called back to nature, it'll remove the paint and not melt your boat.

I dealt with a similar situation, and it really helped speed up the whole process.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,609 Posts
Wondering about how to take care of the rolled gunnels when I get there.
Here is one option:

I cut my rolled gunnel off to make it more of an L shape

I also added walkable gunnels and extended those past the old rolled edge - but I used the top of that L shape to help support the new walkable gunnel

Then used a batten to make an outside lip (the bow tip needed several layers of very thin strips laminated together to make the curve)

You can then round over the edges and glass that new rubrail at the same time you glass the top of the deck

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,609 Posts
I've read through your entire thread along with LWalker's and that is pretty much what I'm shooting for. I didn't realize your gunnels were rolled originally. Thanks for the insight!
Yeah you can kind of tell in these photos that they were rolled. I would have never been able to sand/grind off the old gel coat in there

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, getting close to being finished tackling sanding the bottom down to gelcoat and want to start thinking about how to repair this keel. The previous owner cut the huge section out and part of if goes all the way though the floor. I was thinking about filling the whole keel with thickened epoxy when I redo the floors, is this over kill? Also, how should I go about fixing the outer skin, remember I'm a newbie so feel free to be very detailed and explicit.

Thanks,

-e
20190205_110259.jpg

1 - 20 of 32 Posts