Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In December of last year I got a build quote from a skiff manufacturer and put down my deposit. After speaking with the company recently to get a estimated time of completion, which will be another 6-8 months (much longer than originally estimated) I asked if the price of my build quote is still accurate. I was told no, and the updated price is now roughly 15% more than originally quoted. I understand these are unprecedented times and manufacturers have to pay more for parts/motors but is this at the customers expense? If you were getting a skiff built and put down a deposit, should that price be set in stone or should it fluctuate with the current market? Curious to hear what you guys think.

·
Curmudgeon Emeritus
1998 Egret C/K 167
5,271 Posts
Under typical times maybe but the reality is nothing is staying the same price these days. In my industry i've seen up to a 5x increase in cost for some parts. That's IF they can actually be delivered. While it may suck, these are the harsh realities of current times.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have never ordered a new boat, but my understanding is, you get a quote on a build, and your deposit, is basically just to hold your spot in line. In your situation, I would want the same pricing as what I was originally quoted, but I think where they have you, is that it is just a quote, not an invoice. Quote pricing in most industries is only valid for 30 days. I would expect the manufacturer to let me know if there were going to be price increases, and longer lead time, which it sounds like you weren't which is disappointing at best. In my industry, which is not boat/marine related, my costs, have gone up 20% or more, which the dealer/manufacturer can't just eat at the end of the day, although we have tried the best we can to honor pricing. Its frustrating, and I'm sure they'd give you your deposit back, but you'd have to get in line and start over somewhere else. Sucks, but its the way things are.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
505 Posts
Really tough spot for everyone - the customer and the builder. Yes, the builders may be experiencing increased supply prices (and likely are.) However, they are also experiencing demand like never before, thus in some cases, allowing them to not offer the same customer service they once did or that other manufacturers may offer. Think about it from the customer's experience (my job is in sales, so I try to think this way); you are really excited about a skiff and finally decide you've pinched your pennies long enough and start the build process. You put down your deposit and are told that your build will start in 9 months (hypothetically.) Your excitement mounts, you've been shopping for accessories for your new boat, overthinking things, drooling over the other boats the manufacturer is putting out, etc. Finally, your 9 months of waiting are over - then you find out that, nope it will be at least another few months, and the price has gone up substantially, maybe putting it now out of your budget. So you have wasted 9 months, while prices have been going up all around you.

Do you take comfort in knowing that this is just the way the industry is right now? Do you take comfort in knowing that it is happening to others, and others in other industries as well (housing industry for one?) Probably not.

Builders will be wishing for this demand at some point in the future, you can guarantee it, and the ones that do their best for customers now will be the most successful when the supply finally exceeds demand. I'm not sure what can be done for customers, but leaving them disappointed with no solution at all isn't a great strategy.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Under typical times maybe but the reality is nothing is staying the same price these days. In my industry i've seen up to a 5x increase in cost for some parts. That's IF they can actually be delivered. While it may suck, these are the harsh realities of current times.
I think that there’s too much blaming “Covid” for everything that’s not going particularly well these days!

·
Registered
74 Posts
From my experiences when ordering a custom boat you put down your deposit to get your spot in line. When it comes down to actually building your boat you then decide whether your going to finance or pay cash. Then, you actually sign a contract with giving the builder 50% up front(if you're doing cash) or you get your qualification through your lender. When you do your build sheet it's usually a binding contract, at least mine were. I'll also add this, times are crazy right now. Most fishing companies did a full 15% increase on Oct1st of this year. With most of the composite companies still recovering from the Texas freeze last year as well as Covid distribution issues it's become a real Sh**show. Trying to be flexible here since the industry is very fluid right now. You can also sell your build slots with some manufacturers.

·
Registered
Chittum-LM Beavertail B2 Sold Aug 2021
151 Posts
I can only speak on my recent experience. Price was quoted and deposit paid in Sept 2020. Then COVID changed the game. My 2 to 4 months build went to 10 months. Fortunately the price stayed the same. I am told that the price for the same boat is up $15K.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Entry to mid level services labor has also gone up dramatically and is a big cost basis for a custom skiff. I don’t think you can blame the builders here, you can’t ask them to build your skiff at no or negative margin or they won’t be around for the long haul.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, we’ve been a solid 5x+ on logistics cost to ship containers out of China. Plus limited space on limited ships = competing with significantly larger companies to get space, losing, and thus more delays resulting in higher costs.

Wild times really…

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Just look around at prices on everything.One can not expect a manufacturer to absorb the increases we are seeing today.
I am having a house built and it is in the contract that a price increase may occur along with possible delays because of all the crap w/ Covid,supply chain, and the government getting in the middle of everything.
And, in your case the price of oil is the killer and that is the result of this administration.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Welcome to Biden's world......significant and continual inflation. It isn't going away anytime soon. Unfortunately, the builder can't absorb all the ups and downs of the market.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Supply chain is so messed up. Have a buddy that has had a boat on order for about a year. Manufacture can build the boat just cant get the rest of the parts with consistently. They can only get two Yamaha motors a month right now and that is a improvement.

In my industry electrical components and pumps that used to be off the shelf are weeks if not months these days.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,273 Posts
Sounds cliche but control what you can control. Builders should be proactively updating clients with changes (build times, cost, etc) when they happen. It doesn’t cost much to pick up the phone or send an email.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I heard a new spin on the price of shipping. The Golden Ray cargo ship/car carrier capsized in the St Simons sound over 2 years ago, the last section of the ship is still in the water. The overall cost of the ship, cargo, removal, disposal, cleanup, environmental damages could top $750 million. This cost will be paid by the insurer. What do insurers do after a catastrophic event? Price increase! And to offset increases in the cost of doing business, shippers will go up on the cost of shipping, and the consumer pays the price. So, fuel, insurance, raw materials, labor, everything is on the rise. Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote only

I think they are a good company. As most have alluded to, it’s just a tough spot for both parties. And yes, the deposit is refundable.
@rusty777

Everything being what it is, supply chain, labor, shipping, etc.
If they are good business people and plan to be in the customer satisfaction business, I think they would be reasonably happy to open the books on the cost increases. They should have an original cost workup sheet and an updated costs sheet. They should also be able to produce this fairly quickly if they just reworked the quote for you. If not that is a red flag.

Good businesses that do custom work like this should be happy to work with you to understand the increase. "prices went up" can be followed by.
a) but we want to keep your business and work with you to understand what we are doing to hold costs and not jeopardize build quality with cheap parts and untrained labor.​
b) silence - meaning go away, 1) we are too busy, 2) we are not going to deliver what we promised. 3) we don't want your type of business anymore​

If the deposit is refundable you may want to ask for it back in full.
You may want your boat now but you don't want a "shortcut" build over the long haul. One more year's wait vs years of repairs.

If you are not dealing directly with the business owner, look up the owner's name and contact them directly. Sunbiz (Florida) should have what you need.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts