Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Fly-By-Night
3,138 Posts
I have tied hair jigs but not for throwing with a fly rod, and I have tied flies on jig hooks FOR throwing on a fly rod.

They look awesome, I would tie some nice lures with them with fly materials, Bucktail, marabou, EP brush etc.. but just plan on throwing them with a light spinning setup (think 8lb-ish max). If those heads are lead you'll never throw them with a fly rod, but if you decide to try anyway, go ahead and smash the barbs first it'll make things easier a little later;).

·
Registered
730 Posts
Oh yea, been tying on them for a few years. Good for those who cant throw a fly. Need to be a pretty light rod, I couldnt find one exactly like I like so had to build some.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts
oh yeah, these have been around for about 25-30yrs. They were my go-to bonefish jig heads back in the day. They also make great shallow water redfish and flounder jigs.

Here's a couple of jigs I tied up with those type of jig heads for redfish. I keep jigs like this because once in a while I'll either pick up a light spinning rod and of course, what's better than throwing an artificial lure that you made yourself, or if I have a non-flyfisherman with me, so they can use it. They are light weight (but these below are 1/4oz) and I'm throwing them on a light 6'6" to 7ft 6-12lb rated spinning rod with a light reel and 10lb braid with about 2ft of 15-20FC leader, just in case a snook happens to grab it. With bones, I'm using 12lb FC leader material (about 4ft of it).

This one is just a "whatever redfish jig" (i.e... could be a crab, shrimp, mantas shrimp, squid or whatever it thinks it is). ;)
Ted-Haas-Redfish-Jig-400pix.jpg

This one is an imitation of a baby flounder (shhhh.....little secret.... Redfish Loves baby flounders! They love to baby sit them, play with them, bounce them on their knees and.... eat em as snacks! ;) ).
Ted-Haas-Baby-Flounder-Jig-400pix.jpg

I usually paint up the heads with fingernail polish and then clear coat it with Sally Hanson's Hard as Nails or something like that.

·
Registered
468 Posts
oh man Ive got some friends who are incapable of figuring out a fly rod...those would be perfect

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,652 Posts
Where are y'all finding those jigs? I have seen them before, but don't know what they are called or who might make them.

I've got a couple buddies that absolutely love that style of jig, and I've always thought I could make one but never knew where to source the head.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Its https://buggsfishing.com

They come out of Texas and the guy Heath is a cool dude to deal with.

Here is a set I sent with a buddy to the Turks and Cacios. I tie them for lodges in Mexico as well. Bonefish and permit love them in this pattern and so do redfish. Those are the 3/16oz heads.

Attachments

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,652 Posts
Its https://buggsfishing.com

They come out of Texas and the guy Heath is a cool dude to deal with.

Here is a set I sent with a buddy to the Turks and Cacios. I tie them for lodges in Mexico as well. Bonefish and permit love them in this pattern and so do redfish. Those are the 3/16oz heads.
Doh, I could have just read the thread title!

I thought Hardluk was just saying he was tying up some bugs. Those bonefish jigs look great!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Buggs are super popular in the Mid/Upper TX Gulf coast.

Of course most people buy pre-tied versions.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Love how everything old... is new again... If you go down to the Keys ask for bonefish jigs and you'll find all you need. Everyone I knew called them skimmer jigs... Long before the huge growth of fly fishing in the salt, skimmers were the only way to go for most that got tired of tossing shrimp (or crabs...) at bonefish or permit... They'd been around forever when I came here back in 1971... At any rate I've been making them for folks quite a few years now (for those not satisfied with what they find in stores... ). Everything made to custom order - I keep no stock...

Here's a few pics (believe I posted this info here not too many years ago...).

These are all skimmers - you choose head and tail color, length, etc. They only come in 1/5oz size

These are backcountry jigs - I do them in 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2oz sizes...

At any rate anyone wanting a price list, additional styles, etc. just send an email request to [email protected] - you'll get your info by return mail that day, if possible...

As you can guess this is one of the things I do when I'm not on the water -so the next three months things might take a while - Once skeeter season comes around I'll have lots of time to make bucktails, leadheads, etc...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL! 25/30yrs, thought I had stumbled on something new and innovative. I had been looking for something like this after going out and getting frustrated after a days fishing. Trying to pole and throw a fly solo sometimes gets the best of me no matter how much prep I do. However those are some nice ties you guys have!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Lol they’re as old as I am but guess what’s gonna take up a permanent residency in a vacant box I have lying around?

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,312 Posts
Heath has done some really cool things with these jigheads. Before you guys hate on something try doing a little research, you might actually find something pretty neat. It won’t hurt to click and read, we all do it or we wouldn’t be on this forum. Look at his website and read some of the things he does and the background on these Buggs...it’s more than just a jighead with hair and feathers tied to it. You might get some ideas and spark ideas on something a little different.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts
Hey Ted, are those lead eyes hiding under the body of that redfish jig? How does that effect the sink rate/profile?
No. Those are plastic bead chain that I measure and cut to the width I need. Then I use needle nose pliers to crush the beads in the middle of the 2 outside beads that I will be using for the eyes. Then I'll stiffen the string in-between with some sort of glue, like super glue or something like that and let it dry. Then tie it in, in the middle. Sometimes I don't stiffen the string/cord and just tie it in.

I have often used either black or a cream colored bead chain with a goldish hue to it and use either one as a normal pair of bead chain eyes on flies that I want to ride up near the surface. Since it's plastic, it doesn't weight the fly and cause it to flip upside down and sink more. I like them on shrimp flies that are imitating shrimp just swimming up near the surface, flowing with the current, as oppose to bumping along the bottom. Also, sometimes, if my fly is a little thicker in the head, I'll cut 3 beads total in a string, off the string of beads. Then I'll crush the center bead and again, tie it in the middle. Then I'll super glue the thread wraps and the string/cord that the 2 outer beads are on and when harden, that will stiffen that string and hold those beads (eyes) out to the outside side of the materials I'm using.

Ted

·
I Love microskiff.com!
679 Posts
Where are y'all finding those jigs? I have seen them before, but don't know what they are called or who might make them.

I've got a couple buddies that absolutely love that style of jig, and I've always thought I could make one but never knew where to source the head.
When we first started using them in the late 80’s they were called Skimmer jigs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts