Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at fishfinders with a max budget of under $300 for my new Jon.

The two I have found that I like so far are the Humminbird Helix 5 Chirp and the Garmin Striker 4 Plus. I’m also looking at the Raymarine Dragonfly Pro.

Maps would be nice, but not necessarily needed.

Any input on my choices so far? Any others I should be thinking about with my budget?

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have. the Garmin on my kayak, it works well on the lakes and areas I go with the 'yak. I haven't used it enough to learn all the ins and outs,but the basics work well.

·
"This one time at band camp..."
292 Posts
I have a deal for you. I had an older 7" Lowrance unit crap out on me. Since it was out of warranty they would replace it with a new Hook 7 (for $200 I think), but I'd have to reuse my power and transducer cables. It has sat in my shop in the box it came in for about a year. If you want it, I'll sell it to you for $100 and you cover the shipping. If you're interested let me know and I'll wade out to my shop and make some photos.
If we make this deal and you're happy after hooking it up and using it some, you'll owe me a fishing trip when I'm in your area. Wherever that is.

·
"This one time at band camp..."
292 Posts
Shrimp under a popping cork
Old, old school right there. You must not be on prostaff with any of the electronics companies.

The ultimate fish finder is when you catch the first one on a popping cork, cut your line and release the speck with the popping cork still attached and let him swim back to the school.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,813 Posts
I just got a Lowrance Hook 5 w/navioncs and Nocqua battery for no wire install for my solo. Worked decent in the glades

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
When the 3d stuff came out I got pretty enthused at the time, then right before I was going to place my order I had the thought that it would be more of a distraction than fishing aid. I have up-graded my l e d's a few times over the years but the last portable was (still use it :) ) is a hummingbird wide which gives me all the info I want at a glance. I go fishing when I can/want to. Doesn't matter much if it's not the best tide or time to go altho I do pay attention to these things.

My only recommendation for getting anything is, get what you will enjoy using even if you might have save up for while to get it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts