Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I'm a new member who's been lurking on this site for some time now. I'm trying to decide on exactly what I need for a first true (read non-tiny jon boat) skiff. Right now I'm leaning hard on those towees and saltmarsh skiffs. My one hiccup is durability I hunt small waters with stumps and a couple time a year have to break ice, are these fiberglass boats really tough enough for a blast and cast rig?

Thank you all for any help or advice you have!

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2021 Ankona Advent
3,005 Posts
Hey there! I am a rep for Salt Marsh and am currently running a 1444 here in the Tampa Bay area. That skiff or the 1656 would be perfect for those applications. We have several people out there who use them for cast and blast. Not to mention our hulls are Kevlar inlay. Feel free to text me for pricing or any questions you may have. 863-860-7250
Jon

·
Brandon, FL
12,648 Posts
Absolutely not.

I grew up in the frozen tundra and ripping through the ice is not for a glass skiff, I don't care what type of material it is made out of.

Yes maybe the Kevlar will prevent a puncture but you still risk compromising the hull.

Ice and stumps are conquered by a tinny.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would that still be an issue if the ice I'm talking about is south eastern ice where it'd be maybe a 1/2" at most and a couple times a year? Patching fiberglass isn't hard I grew up glassing surfboards and know my way around epoxy.

The reason for glass vs aluminum is really due to heat in the summer and how loud they are. There's nothing worst than spoken fish because of unnecessary hull noise from something as small as dropping a lead weight.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
17,668 Posts
Would that still be an issue if the ice I'm talking about is south eastern ice where it'd be maybe a 1/2" at most and a couple times a year? Patching fiberglass isn't hard I grew up glassing surfboards and know my way around epoxy.

The reason for glass vs aluminum is really due to heat in the summer and how loud they are. There's nothing worst than spoken fish because of unnecessary hull noise from something as small as dropping a lead weight.
Maybe with a keel guard but I’d still lean towards an aluminum hull for breaking ice and running over stumps.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Get some sea dek :)

·
Registered
905 Posts
I second the vote for looking at a Sabine. It's the unicorn you're looking for and you won't find a better outfit to work with.

Edit - just noticed the thread title includes "budget" and that's pretty subjective. I'm sure you could get a very functional and simple Sabine at a good price, but not sure if it will meet your definition of "budget".

·
Brandon, FL
12,648 Posts

A 1/2" of ice is a formidable opponent and not to be taken lightly.

Several years ago we were hunting on Lake Seminole in N. FL and it had sheet ice on it. We (3 boats) headed out and the two boats followed me. Got to a cut off point and Stevie hung a right. He went maybe 100 yards and we saw something not right so we immediately went over there. The ice sliced right through his hull and his boat was going down. We got the good stuff in my boat and what ever we did not either floated or went down with the boat.

Your choice- I grew up hunting with ice and will not go through it with glass. 1/2" with tin will be a challenge.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thank you all for your advice!

Yeah an affordable boat is very subjective. especially when you have to Bring Out Another Thousand every now and then.

I did look at those Sabine skiffs and they're just a bit more than I'm looking to spend right now. Ideally under 9k would be best which is why those two boats are on my radar preferably used.

·
Registered
142 Posts
A 1/2" of ice is a formidable opponent and not to be taken lightly.

Several years ago we were hunting on Lake Seminole in N. FL and it had sheet ice on it. We (3 boats) headed out and the two boats followed me. Got to a cut off point and Stevie hung a right. He went maybe 100 yards and we saw something not right so we immediately went over there. The ice sliced right through his hull and his boat was going down. We got the good stuff in my boat and what ever we did not either floated or went down with the boat.

Your choice- I grew up hunting with ice and will not go through it with glass. 1/2" with tin will be a challenge.
Since when did lake Seminole ever have ice on it? o_O To hot down here even when it 60 to freeze.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Talk to the Towee folks. My understanding is they have a special coating/layup that helps to protect against rocks, stumps and gravel. Shallow capability and easy to handle with lower horsepower.
The Towee folks are doing something right. Aside from drift boats that’s about all you see on the White and other shallow, stumpy, rocky bottom rivers in The Ozarks.

·
Brandon, FL
12,648 Posts
Ok, I was about to say. lol Lake Seminole won’t even get blow 60 because it’s so damn hot
No, I remember shooting a goose from the front yard of the cabin we stayed in and there was frost on the ground.

Thank you for reminding me. That is when my buddy Everado shot a goose standing next to me in the front yard and he shot a banded goose. It was his first goose ever and his only banded bird he ever shot. The cabin was directly in the flight path and they flew over every morning and afternoon, easy pickings.

·
Registered
2021 East Cape Vantage 2022 East Cape Bay 2012 East Cape Caimen
476 Posts
Love my Towee in Florida. Talk to Greg. He’ll shoot you straight on ice.

I love the Sabine but it’s more than double the Towee cost.

Reactions: woodduck

·
Registered
Maverick HPXS
1,286 Posts
if you have the space get one for each, a skiff for fishing and get/keep the Jon boat for hunting.
My favorite duck boat for smaller waters was a gutted 1436 with an old 25 johnson. You can get something similar very affordably and have plenty of money left over for a skiff you won't abuse hunting.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.