Brown/gray oil/grease running down skeg

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by jgregory01, May 21, 2011.

1. jgregory01

jgregory01 I Love microskiff.com!

Took the boat out for a few hours today. Ran great. Its a 1999 Johnson 50hp. First thing I noticed that was strange though is that when trimmed up at one of the islands, the motor slowly returned all the way down into the water. It is doing this now so I figure more hydraulic fluid needed in the T/T motor? It trims up and down quick but when left up it slowly returns with gravity.

Second thing I noticed was when flushing the motor at home. After running it for about 15min I noticed a brown/gray line of foamy oil or grease running down the skeg from the prop area. I dont know if a seal is broken or something? Im not a mechanic and before I call mine I figured I would ask here. I dont know if something inside the lower unit happened? Like I said, it ran good.

I did bottom out(at a snails pace) coming up to an island and the motor stopped but that was quick and it fired up after and ran great. Photo of the substance is attached.

Side Note: Tons and tons and tons of lovebugs at Parish Park and throughout the IRL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Looks like unburnt oil and gas that gravity is pulling down out of the exhaust housing.
    To check if the lower unit is leaking, remove the vent screw
    from the gear case and and see if the gear oil is milky.

previous post...

http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1250006739

3. jgregory01

Thanks Brett...I suspected that it might be that but wasnt sure. Any idea on the t/t?

4. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Enjoy the reading... ;)

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=outboard+trim+and+tilt+won%27t+stay+up&aq=&aqi=&aql=f&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=e4d813b43c7d221c

5. jgregory01

Thanks...the search engine is our friend and I often forget this. I appreciate your time.

6. jgregory01

Ok. So I have narrowed the problem with the T/T down to seals and o-rings. I am purchasing a kit that is about $60.00 . I have been told the job is not difficult.

Does anyone have any experience with this? The T/T is a standard small motor unit, motor on port side, piston on starbord side. Is it as simple as disconnecting the piston arm, unscreweing the cap at the top and sliding the assembily up and out? Then replaceing the seals/o-rings? Then reverse?

7. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Been 20 years since I've worked on one. Evinrude 90.
    All I did was follow the instructions in the OEM manual.
    No brains required. Step by step with pictures.