Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so being the idiot I am I tried poling with the tip of my stuffy hybrid 21 (usually use the handle ...) in some rocky area and it didn't go well. Ended up noticing the tip broken off once I got home. Yanked it out of a couple rock crevasses which is probably when it happened.

If I can repair it myself that's fine by me, or if anyone known someone that does this kind of repair in the Miami, FL area I would be interested by that also. I've looked into the stuffy website and some of their videos but still kinda confused. Besides the replacement tip, what else would I need to buy?

Thanks guys
36B024FD-99C4-4C8B-90E1-75A2FABE6A98.jpeg

·
Registered
422 Posts
You can get a repair kit from Mud Hole (mudhole.com). Their shop is in Oviedo, Fl just NE of Orlando, but you can either find it on their website or call them. Great people. I've repaired a couple of poles and it's easy to do.

·
Registered
804 Posts
@bonehead as said above it is easy. I reccommend cutting it square to remove any splintering before glueing the tip back in. Here is the point with SS tip https://www.mudhole.com/Spare-Point-with-SS-Tip-for-MHX-Push-Pole

Just be sure you clean inside the pole very well and rough it up with sandpaper before gluing. Also, when you glue the new point in, remember it is now air tight and to either brace the pushpole against something or tightly tape the point to the pole or the point might want to back out of the pole during the curing process. Also, when screwing the SS tip in, add a little epoxy to the threads, will help it not to back out.

Here is the glue kit as well if you don't have epoxy handy already. https://www.mudhole.com/Glue-Kit-for-MHX-Push-Pole

·
Registered
490 Posts
@bonehead ......when screwing the SS tip in, add a little epoxy to the threads, will help it not to back out.......
^^^^ this ^^^^

The tip will vibrate out while you’re under power. Don’t ask me how I know this.

G

·
If you decide to fix it yourself, and you should as it is stupid easy... set the pol in a piece of angle iron/aluminum and spin the pole as you cut it. Don’t cut all the way through in one shot, scribe around the pole with your blade several times until you are through. This will avoid splintering any further. Scuff the inside of the pole with a red scotchbrite real good, clean with a little acetone and let dry. Scuff the new tip with some 80-120grit around the circumference and clean with acetone. Apply a thin coat of epoxy to the inside of the tube, apply a coat of epoxy to the tip, insert tip into tube. I have repaired many using permatex 5minute epoxy. I just hold the tip in the pole until the epoxy sets to avoid push out. Hope that helps, James

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Don’t over epoxy! Excess will squeeze further into the tube onto the unsanded part, fall off and rattle up and down pole as you flip it. Had to redo mine from being worn down thin. Had to redo it because of the epoxy chunk.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you own a chop saw with a finish blade, they work very well for cleaning up the torn end of the pole. Be sure to wrap the area you are cutting with some good masking tape to keep down the splinters. The chop saw gives a clean straight cut. Contact Stiffy. They can send you a new tip for your particular model pole and tell you exactly how to attach it.

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
If you own a chop saw with a finish blade, they work very well for cleaning up the torn end of the pole. Be sure to wrap the area you are cutting with some good masking tape to keep down the splinters. The chop saw gives a clean straight cut. Contact Stiffy. They can send you a new tip for your particular model pole and tell you exactly how to attach it.
This

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,531 Posts
As @Frank Ucci, order the repair kit from Stiffy. Piece of cake, have done it a couple times on old push poles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts