Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...I had a damaged spot in my Rio Bonefish fly line. Attempted to “weld” it and ended up breaking the line. Any good way to splice it back together? Or am I screwed into replacing it? The break is in the running line section.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
107 Posts
You can use hollow core mono braid to fix it, use a 4-6” piece and use nail knots on both ends with 10-12lb mono to keep it in place. Use Loon UV KnotSense and smooth it out. Obviously if the line is new it is worth the time, if it’s beat-up replace it. Good luck, it’s hard to explain, you can check on the web and see if you can find any videos also same principle is used by the offshore crowd for wind-on leaders

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can use hollow core mono braid to fix it, use a 4-6” piece and use nail knots on both ends with 10-12lb mono to keep it in place. Use Loon UV KnotSense and smooth it out. Obviously if the line is new it is worth the time, if it’s beat-up replace it. Good luck, it’s hard to explain, you can check on the web and see if you can find any videos also same principle is used by the offshore crowd for wind-on leaders
Thanks! Can you send me a link to the type of material you’re referring to?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
107 Posts
http://www.danblanton.com/blog/getting-looped/

https://www.cortlandline.com/products/cortland-leader-loops

https://www.cortlandline.com/collections/fly-line-extensions/products/braided-mono

The first link is just something to look at to get the idea, the second two are both from Cortlands website, the loops are obviously not needed but that is the material needed, they have spools but you may not need that much, I would do the 35lb stuff for an 8wt. Before flylines came with loops on them, we made them using this stuff. Hope it helps

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I've fixed them in a pinch with those mesh loops people use in place of welded loops. I just cut the loop part off and used the two hollow ends to secure the broken running line. It held for the rest of the weekend but we were fishing warm water and not pulling hard on fish.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
166 Posts
This and maybe after the knot sense dries cover the whole thing with shrink tubing.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Send me your address and I will mail you a section of hollow braided mono.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Feed both ends in to each open end of braided mono till they meet in the middle. Think of a Chinese finger trap. Use spiderwire invisibraid 20 lb to nail knot each end of the braided mono so it doesn't unravel. It wont come apart, trust me.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well my friend and local fly fishing guide gave me his professional opinion based on the location of the break in the line...time to replace.

Would like to stay in the $40-$50 range. Any good 8wt lines out there in that price range?

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
Well my friend and local fly fishing guide gave me his professional opinion based on the location of the break in the line...time to replace.

Would like to stay in the $40-$50 range. Any good 8wt lines out there in that price range?
Monic Henley (it’s clear)
Send in your used fly line and get 25% off. Order directly, made in USA

1 - 18 of 18 Posts