BROKE SLIDEBOLT!!! Microjacker

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by CPurvis, Oct 15, 2017.

1. CPurvis

CPurvis Well-Known Member

The plate is threaded. I was thinking about using a left handed cobalt bit to drill it out. The lock nut is on there tight as hell. Any advice on getting it to loosen up other than alot of ass?

Thanks for the advice.

2. CPurvis

Yeah I called TH marine and it is threaded but the nut is just torqued on so this should be a simple fix.

Thanks for the help

3. Whiskey Angler

Whiskey Angler I Love microskiff.com!

I would recommend alot of ass. I'm sure your biggest fear is getting one of those giant skin flaps over your knuckle. So, I would get a long box wrench, and use a heavy hammer to tap the nut loose. Seriously, a 10# sledge is not too much...just use the head to tap the wrench and the momentum of the head will hopefully slowly looses the nut.

Good lord...stuck bolts get messy fast.

CPurvis and sjrobin like this.
  4. CPurvis

Ha! You know it. Thanks for all of the help.

5. CPurvis

Got that Son of a Bitch!!! Thanks for all of the helpful advice. That's what this forum is all about.

6. yobata

yobata I Love microskiff.com!

How? And congrats!

CPurvis likes this.
  7. CPurvis

Well I ended up pulling the motor off to gain more access to break the jam nut loose. After getting the nut off I was able to loosen the bolt piece. I didn't have an easy out and I was not wanting to bring it through the threads due to a jagged piece sticking out. So I was able to back it out just enough so I could get the sawzall in and cut the jagged piece off and then just worked it through.

yobata likes this.
  8. efi2712micro

efi2712micro Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, does that issue happen often? Is it specific to the atlas micro?

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  9. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

I broke mine even after I read this thread. It’s not a defect or bad design, there’s a nylock nut on the inside and when you go to loosen the bolt all it does is tighten up in the nut and ends up breaking off.

CPurvis likes this.
  10. CPurvis

Gotta make sure you loosen the nylock nut first before loosening the bolt. Kind of my stupid mistake.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  11. CPurvis

Damn really!?? Me sharing my dumd ass mistake was suppose to prevent someone else from making the same dumb ass mistake. LOL

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  12. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

I was replacing the actuator for the second time and a few too many beers and I got out the breaker bar when the bolt did not loosen.

CPurvis likes this.