Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Break away trailer Tounge DIY

772 16
Last year I bought this brand new Gheenoe because it was the only thing available that would fit in my garage. Got it home and immediately put the saw to the trailer Tounge to make it fit. Figured I could order the folding kit and install it fast to go fishing a week later. Well, I soon found out it was no where to be had. Tried every place and it was on back order without any date for delivery. Screw that, I’m going fishing! Headed over to my local Metal Superstore and got what I needed. Two days later this was the final result made out of stainless steel.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part Machine

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Wood Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper

Gas Engineering Auto part Machine Bumper
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stainless mounting bolts are torqued to spec and red loctite used. Didn’t want the look of spot welds. I used a nylon insert nut for the pivot point. Also bead blasted the assembly once finished for a uniform finish. Thanks for the compliments.

· Registered
158 Posts
I'm a former machinist and somewhat of a welding enthusiast, and to me it looks like an excellent fabrication. I assume you welded the ends on and then ground down the welds to get those nice box end sections. Really appreciate your craftsmanship, thank you for sharing.

Reactions: mro and STR

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a former machinist and somewhat of a welding enthusiast, and to me it looks like an excellent fabrication. I assume you welded the ends on and then ground down the welds to get those nice box end sections. Really appreciate your craftsmanship, thank you for sharing.
Thank you, and you are correct. I tried to find a piece of rectangular tubing, but no such luck. So I made it from angle iron. Much trimming, and multiple parts. This also gave me the opportunity to make it slide on with minimal clearance without having to beat it on. It was a lot of work and really would have never done it if the kit would have been available, but I really wanted to go fishing. I did back order the kit in wishful thinking it might get here quickly. It took 8 months and it finally arrived.

· Premium Member
3,514 Posts
Nice job.
One thing I'd do is put a lock on where the clevis pin would go to insure that it would not come loose.
Some years ago on my back from Tahoe (customer) I was towing a tandem axle trailer with a 6500 pound machine on it.
Stopped at an Ihop for dinner and someone took the hitch pin out.
I've always had a habit of checking my trailers every time I stop.

· Registered
Gheenoe NMZ
308 Posts
Nice job.
One thing I'd do is put a lock on where the clevis pin would go to insure that it would not come loose.
Some years ago on my back from Tahoe (customer) I was towing a tandem axle trailer with a 6500 pound machine on it.
WTF is wrong with ppl? If it isn’t yours don’t touch it!!!

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice job.
I’ve thought of that also, so I carry a spare in case some A hole steals mine. I always check too. Plenty of shitheads where I live. So far so good.

· Registered
105 Posts
STR, that'za FINE PIECE OF WORK

and i would return that store boughten one if i were you

not to highjack your thread butt your followers might like to see what different game players are doing for theft prevention which might also be a solution for the long tongue issue

they are installing a hitch receiver to their shortened tongues and instead of having a hitch stinger w/ a ball mount they are making their stingers with a coupler on them

the theory behind this process is by removing the coupler stinger it makes their trailers harder to steal

Automotive tire Asphalt Wood Bumper Floor
Wood Bumper Vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

the theft issue had exploded over the last coupla years and their little teardrop trailers are being heavily targeted

spare tire mounts are being modified to accept padlocks as are their couplers and hitch pins

a longer bale standard sized Master lock fits thru the holes in the couplers and the smaller Master lock w/ a longer bale fits thru the hitch pins

Automotive lighting Machine Auto part Gas Cable
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Vehicle
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Bumper

padlocks do not prevent theft they simply differs the temptation to easier targets when the thief doesn't have his bolt cutter in his pocket

STR, the smaller Master lock w/ the longer bale would fit the hitch pin in your set up

note ... slight hole size adjustments may be required for the lock bales to fit easier in some couplers and hitch pins which does not reduce the system's ability to do their jobs properly (i've been doing this for over 30 years w/o even a hiccup)

hope this helps

leon

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

not to highjack your thread butt your followers might like to see what different game players are doing for theft prevention which might also be a solution for the long tongue issue

they are installing a hitch receiver to their shortened tongues and instead of having a hitch stinger w/ a ball mount they are making their stingers with a coupler on them

the theory behind this process is by removing the coupler stinger it makes their trailers harder to steal

View attachment 218492 View attachment 218493

the theft issue had exploded over the last coupla years and their little teardrop trailers are being heavily targeted

spare tire mounts are being modified to accept padlocks as are their couplers and hitch pins

a longer bale standard sized Master lock fits thru the holes in the couplers and the smaller Master lock w/ a longer bale fits thru the hitch pins

View attachment 218494 View attachment 218495 View attachment 218496

padlocks do not prevent theft they simply differs the temptation to easier targets when the thief doesn't have his bolt cutter in his pocket

STR, the smaller Master lock w/ the longer bale would fit the hitch pin in your set up

note ... slight hole size adjustments may be required for the lock bales to fit easier in some couplers and hitch pins which does not reduce the system's ability to do their jobs properly (i've been doing this for over 30 years w/o even a hiccup)

hope this helps

leon
I agree, it’s a good deterrent because thieves are looking for the easy score most of the time.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

View attachment 218492 View attachment 218493

View attachment 218494 View attachment 218495 View attachment 218496

hope this helps

leon
By all means, please share anything that helps anyone. That’s what these forums are all about. I have a new boat on order, and from the factory the trailer will come with a removable Tounge. Not a pivoting one, but completely removable. They will have to bring their own method to tow it. My neighborhood has one way in and one way out. All the guards know me and the boat. All that helps a little.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts