Braze Aluminum Trailer Fenders

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by COL_V, Mar 18, 2014.

1. COL_V

COL_V American Soldier

I searched this sit with no results, so casting my net out. I'm looking for advice from anyone who has experience brazing aluminum diamond plate. My son's trailer fenders have some cracks and tears that I'd like to braze. Wondering if there would be too much flex / vibration of the fenders for brazing to hold up. Also advice on how to disguise braze into diamond plate pattern as to not look so obvious. Any pic of similar braze repair apperciated.

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Are you talking about stress fractures caused by the way the fenders are mounted?
    If so, brazing those cracks will be a temporary fix, as the stress loads will continue
    to break the aluminum in basically the same spot again. Need to change the way
    those fenders are attached to the trailer and braze the cracks with dura-fix or alumiweld.

3. COL_V

COL_V American Soldier

Not stress fractures, but tears from backing up and snagging something. Areas by mounts are ok. Will have to heat and shape a bit to bring back to normal, but thinking of brazing to fix rips (cracks). Just wondering if normal driving vibrations will effect repairs. Looking for someones first hand experience with doing same damage braze repair, and how they hold up.

4. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

You will not hide or blend in a repair to the diamond plate look. In fact you will discolor it.

If it were me I would buy a new one and bolt it on. A new fender is going to cost only a few bucks more than a package of the sticks.

I have used them on a few occasions and they work great but I had to practice first. If it is done right there is really no difference from the original metal.

5. COL_V

COL_V American Soldier

Figured it would not be pretty or perfect. Aluminum sticks are only about 8 1/2 bucks for pack of eight (at Northern Tools), so repair is MUCH cheaper than replacement. I'll do some pratice in an hour, then burn some fenders.