Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
This reminds me of a crack that i had in on my furl tank. Fill up tanks, run for however long and then it dies. Bulb is flat. Re prime bulb and run again until it dies. I looked at everything and then i finally saw a small crack on the outside of the portable tank. That crack allowed air into the tank and the fuel line would lose pressure. I had to prime the bulb on a 12 mile run back to the ramp while my buddy drove my boat.
Yeah I've definitely done this. But sometimes even that hasn't worked.
I would try to run the boat off a different (known-good) portable tank and fuel line/bulb. That way you isolate the engine as much as possible.
This is a really good idea. If the shop can't figure it out quickly, I'll try this on my own.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think @bryson hit it right. Get a portable tank and confirm and deny that it is a tank/line/bulb issue. As a heads up, I has a Suzuki that did that same thing. Ran fine then shut down to a crawl one day. They said the motor was going into limp mode as there was a slight drop in water pressure due to over rev in the impeller. I’d check the impeller and water pump too in case something is stuck in there or the impeller is chipped. I have a tohatsu 60 on order now so let me know what you figure out! Good luck.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,926 Posts
I think @bryson hit it right. Get a portable tank and confirm and deny that it is a tank/line/bulb issue. As a heads up, I has a Suzuki that did that same thing. Ran fine then shut down to a crawl one day. They said the motor was going into limp mode as there was a slight drop in water pressure due to over rev in the impeller. I’d check the impeller and water pump too in case something is stuck in there or the impeller is chipped. I have a tohatsu 60 on order now so let me know what you figure out! Good luck.
How is there over rev in the impeller? The impeller is rotating directly in porportion with the drive shaft.

·
Registered
238 Posts
How is there over rev in the impeller? The impeller is rotating directly in porportion with the drive shaft.
No clue. Sounded strange to me too, but that’s what the shop said. They said there was a code for impeller over rev which causes the system to think the engine isn’t getting enough water and goes into limp mode to protect itself from overheating. I thought there was some prop slippage that caused it and threw off that code. But, I replaced the impeller and everything worked fine after that. Only 70-80 hours on the motor and the original impeller didn’t look that chewed up. The computers in these outboards are something else.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,926 Posts
No clue. Sounded strange to me too, but that’s what the shop said. They said there was a code for impeller over rev which causes the system to think the engine isn’t getting enough water and goes into limp mode to protect itself from overheating. I thought there was some prop slippage that caused it and threw off that code. But, I replaced the impeller and everything worked fine after that. Only 70-80 hours on the motor and the original impeller didn’t look that chewed up. The computers in these outboards are something else.
I’ve heard of something similar with a guy and his Tohatsu. I have had to research these outboards to be sure my pickup system would not cause any sillh issues that would cause the CPU to crash. Passed with flying colors quite a few so far.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
What Bryson advised is exactly what a pro would do - before anything else... By-pass your entire fuel system with a known good portable tank and fuel line then run it. If that cures tour problems then you know it’s your fuel set-up and not your motor...

Troubles with a fuel system can be the tank, the pickup in the tank (if there’s debris in a tank you’ll be able to run at lower rpms but starve out as you open it up), the fuel line itself (first item, check all clamps for tightness, then look to see if there’s any nicks in the line or kinks that might restrict fuel), next is your fuel separator, last is your fuel bulb. I know more than one tech who will replace an existing fuel bulb with the one that BRP makes since they’re the best around...

Hope this helps. Post up what you find and how you fixed it...

Aren’t boats fun?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would temporarily bypass the fuel, water separator. How many micron is the filter element? Some have too much back pressure.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I've actually had a sneaky suspicion this might be it because this happens only when on or very close to plane. It is certainly possible this is all user error and what I'm really trying to do is remove all of my errors from the equation. After all, I am a nooby coming from kayak world and I could very easily just be doing something wrong.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've actually had a sneaky suspicion this might be it because this happens only when on or very close to plane. It is certainly possible this is all user error and what I'm really trying to do is remove all of my errors from the equation. After all, I am a nooby coming from kayak world and I could very easily just be doing something wrong.
I would try to slowly get on plan versus throwing the throttle down. That might help. It happened to me more when there was a load in the boat. Another thing the Suzuki rep said was, if it’s not propped or positioned correctly, under load the boat isn’t moving fast enough out of the hull and some prop wash air bubbles can be mixed in with what the impeller sucks up. Could be BS, but maybe try slowly getting on plan for the next trips. Could rule out that error.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The reason I'm not putting Ankona on blast is I live in Louisiana and they aren't close enough to look at this themselves. If it is an expensive fix, I will put them on blast if they refuse to help with the costs.

That said, yes, it pees fine. There are no visible issues I can see aside from it stalling. Looking at the fuel in the fuel filter it looks clean. The fuel filter appears to have adequate fuel inside of it as well. Oil is clean, everything looks spotless.
Hold off on blasting Ankona this could be a engine issue. Which they would have zero control over. And the motor has the best warranty in the business. I think you are going to be fine. Just gotta figure it out.
Does it have a fuel filter/water separator? Are the in/out plumbed correctly? Is fuel filter empty when the bulb is flat? If you unscrew the filter does the bulb return to normal? Almost seems like a vapor lock situation. Probably going to be something stupid and simple.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Where in Louisiana? If you're near Baton Rouge, you can drag it over to my house and I'll help you with it. I think I have a spare tank with a tohatsu fuel fitting but I'll have to do some digging. You wouldn't be the first skiff I've seen with the primer bulb installed backwards :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
The reason I'm not putting Ankona on blast is I live in Louisiana and they aren't close enough to look at this themselves. If it is an expensive fix, I will put them on blast if they refuse to help with the costs.

That said, yes, it pees fine. There are no visible issues I can see aside from it stalling. Looking at the fuel in the fuel filter it looks clean. The fuel filter appears to have adequate fuel inside of it as well. Oil is clean, everything looks spotless.
My Tohatsu 15 hp looses prime and need to be pumped up each start no matter how short time is between starting . I suspect the problem is with the fitting where gas line attaches to motor. I just noticed that sometimes it doesn’t click into place when I thought it was secure. Not sure which fitting is the problem but I suspect it may be what you’re experiencing. I’ve been too lazy to bring it in because it runs fine when re- primed. Try a different remote tank if u can borrow one to try and narrow down the issue. End of day , it’s not a Yamaha. I bought it because it was 16 lbs lighter than Yamaha 15, which is a lot since I take it on and off each time I use it on my Jon boat. If I have to replace my 2004 40 hp Yamaha that is on my skiff, I would buy another Yamaha. I’m 70 so the 40 hp may outlive me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Where in Louisiana? If you're near Baton Rouge, you can drag it over to my house and I'll help you with it. I think I have a spare tank with a tohatsu fuel fitting but I'll have to do some digging. You wouldn't be the first skiff I've seen with the primer bulb installed backwards :p
I can do that, live in Nola but family and friends are all up there. I'll message you when I'm back from Florida. Thanks man.

·
Brandon, FL
10,773 Posts
He is in Louisiana, that won’t be a skip and a jump or cheap trip. Definitely try and avoid that if possible. Most times it’s something simple. Hope so, anyway.
Is there a Tohatsu dealer in LA near him?

He could call Mel and chat with him and then take it to the nearest Tohatsu dealer.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts