Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
1,687 Posts
I prefer monofilament on a levelwind, but I use the braid on spinning reels. I have used several, and I prefer the 832, Power Pro, and FINS Windtamer. But I fly fish 99% of the time, so I'm certainly not an authority. I have learned that some levelwinds have problems with braid that has very narrow diameters; all of my spinning reels use 10# braid, but the levelwinds I used braid on all used 30# or 40# braid. Many of the newer levelwinds are manufactured to utilize braid, and can use the lighter lines reliably. Just some food for thought.....

· Registered
4,449 Posts
My bass rods are loaded with 65lb suffix 832. Big enough diameter to easily pick a birds nest. Distance isn't really an issue, can still cast a mile. If I was fishing inshore I would probably drop down to around 30-40 to gain some capacity. 10 lb seems like torture when you get a birds nest.

· Registered
375 Posts
Used Sufix 832, Fins Windtamer, PP Superslick, but have never tried the Diawa, may check it out based on above recommendations. I am not at all impressed with the coated lines I just listed, the coating simply wears off and then you are left with something worse than good ole Powerpro, Which is what I recently went back to.

I use 30# on bc and 20# on spinning. I put some mono backing down on the spool then load with braid to the top of the spool. If you are a new user of braid, pack your patience and commit to staying with it. When I first switched to it I struggled, went back and forth, but eventually made the switch and committed and haven't looked back, only way to go. Find the one you like and buy a 1500 yd spool off the interweb.

· Panhandler
4,284 Posts
Line companies use wax with color tints to stick to the slick naturally white fiber. So it takes a few times casting the reels before the wax loosens up and casting distance increases.

I've found cranking braided line through a wet rag while maintaining serious pressure as it spools on to the reel really helps. The line packs tightly and I rarely have issues with it digging into the underlying wraps or wind knots. I'm using 10-pound test on Shimano Chronarchs.

· Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
18,596 Posts
I cast 1/32oz jigheads 60-70 feet no problem with 20# braid, it’s got a lot to do with the reel and even more to do with the rod length, power, action and tip speed when casting. Longer rods don’t necessarily mean longer casts, it’s a myth. More guides equals more friction, longer rods take more energy to cast and can’t get the tip speed fast enough to cast a light lure far. Just my experience.

· I Love microskiff.com!
299 Posts
What braid are you using on your bait caster for inshore?
Personally I like to use 30-50lb braid on my baitcasters, anyless dia line seem to want to sink down into the spool. During tournaments having that 30lb+ line and running a heavier leader gives me that extra confidence that once I drill a fish I can put a good amount of pressure on him and get the fish in the boat/livewell quickly.

· Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
18,596 Posts
Personally I like to use 30-50lb braid on my baitcasters, anyless dia line seem to want to sink down into the spool. During tournaments having that 30lb+ line and running a heavier leader gives me that extra confidence that once I drill a fish I can put a good amount of pressure on him and get the fish in the boat/livewell quickly.
Gotta spool it real tight and even 10# braid won’t dig in.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.