Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
You got to get burned to learn
431 Posts
I do not own a fly rod and I know this isn't a very good one by at $20 including shipping then I bit and ordered an 8 wt. Worst case I take it in the yard and just teach myself to cast one. The line I buy will probably cost 150% more

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,651 Posts
At that price, it's really tempting to pick one up just to keep in the truck. The short 5 wt would probably be lots of fun for pond hopping.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
670 Posts
I bought 2 for beaters and the kids to use. They are under 10 so not worth anything nicer yet.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I tend to not buy cheap stuff and prefer to go ahead and try to buy once instead of trading-up later. If I didn’t buy the best or what I really wanted from the start, I always regret it and wasted money because I know I will soon spend more buying better quality.
However, this is only $15 bucks. If it were the full $100 then I would pass, even though I’m not sure I’m really going to get in to fly fishing. I’m sure a better quality rod and reel like Orvis, TFO, or Sage would make learning and casting more enjoyable and easier, but for $15 they can be considered give-away or behind-the-seat rods.
I have been thinking about getting one for the streams around our place in N Ga so I went ahead and ordered a 4W. And since they were only $15 I grabbed another 8W to try down in the marsh in Flagler. Thanks for the heads-up Maverick.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
For $13 it would be a great rod to teach kids in the local lakes/ponds...

·
Registered
281 Posts
It's honestly tempting at 13 bucks, just for grins. To those of you who pulled the trigger, post up your thoughts once you've fished them a bit. It'll be interesting, at least to me haha

·
Registered
286 Posts
Looks like they changed their minds

We sincerely regret that we are unable to fulfill your order. The items were either less than $5, not available to be backordered, or you requested that the items not be placed on backorder. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. Most items are restocked within 30 days; however, you may check basspro.com for stock availability.

SKU Qty Description Unit Cost

2333511 3 Outfit-Dogwood Can 13.97 Not Available

·
Registered
332 Posts
I was worried about that. I was going to get a 4wt and 6wt but they both said backorder. I just ended up buying a 5wt because it was available.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
670 Posts
I guess that means they ran out or aren't honoring the price? I got a similar email when they had a hydraulic jackplate in sale for $225. Too good to be true.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I was worried about that. I was going to get a 4wt and 6wt but they both said backorder. I just ended up buying a 5wt because it was available.
Website said 6's were available and ok to backorder. Same with 5's. They are not shipping either. Not too worried.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,104 Posts
image.jpg
This was my first fly rod combo almost around 17 years ago. Caught my first tarpon, snook, bass, jack, mackerel and peacock on this combo. Still works surprisingly. Still use the rod sometimes too lol. Great deal if you can get it for $15. I think I paid $50 originally. Lots of memories on that little combo.

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
If any of you guys (or gals) would like to see if you might like fly fishing you should post a thread over in the fly section of your interest and general location. A lot of fly fishermen like showing newbies how it's done. You might get lucky and meet up at a park and get a casting lesson. Also you should check if there is a casting club in your area and if not there might be a fly tying club.

Fair warning..... it can be addicting, I've been hooked since 1962.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts