Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was looking for info and suggestions on places to stay close by Bozeman, MT or Fly Guides as I would like to plan a trip around July-September this year. Anyone that has gone and can advise of any tips I would be more than grateful.

Thanks,

·
I Love microskiff.com!
84 Posts
Plenty of good fishing out of Ennis on the Madison (about an hour drive from bozeman). Have not stayed there, but there are guides operating out of that town. Great time of year to be there, you may catch the salmon fly hatch if you there in early July or the golden stonefly hatch thereafter. Great fishing. Not sure what you consider "close by", but if you are willing to drive, relatively close by (little less than 2 hours) is the town of west yellowstone which is probably the best jumping off point for a TON of fishing options inside and outside of the park. Hotels, guides and fly shops galore. I've stayed at Campfire Lodge which is right on the Madison, with plenty of DIY fishing within striking distance. great breakfast there too. https://campfirelodgewestyellowstone.com/

You also have the Slide Inn further downstream. https://www.slideinn.com/about-slide-inn/lodging/

·
Registered
355 Posts
i used to stay in 3 forks down the road. Access to ruby, jefferson, beaverhead, madison. Its where winston rods are made.

jefferson is the bomb in fall when the browns move up it

·
Registered
72 Posts
Used to guide out of Bozeman.
The upper Madison is worth the drive, but better if you can find a place to stay in Ennis. Staying in Bozeman will work if you’re hitting different rivers daily.
The upper Madison is great for wading and floating.
Go high and the wading is great and there is no fishing from boats allowed.
Once you hits Lyons Bridge below the slide area, the float game is on. The actual slide area itself hold amazing fish, even though it doesn’t look nearly as appealing as the other sections of river.
The upper floating sections are one big wide winding river with shallow ruffles and structure that take some time to truly appreciate. It hard to discern where to throw at first. Someone who has spent time there will make you see the subtleties of the terrain.
The Varney to Town float is awesome if there is good flow. Tons of braids, logs, undercuts, and deep pools. Truly an amazing way to spend multiple days. It’s my favorite place.
If there’s moss in the river, go upstream. Water temp plays a huge deal there.
There are a ton of fish on the banks...but that is where every Trustfunder guide fishes because it’s easy. Strike indicator and a couple of BH princes. Jesus. Should be outlawed. The sculpin population in that river is outstanding. The fish don’t chase like you would think. Dead drift around structure with a twitch here and there. Running a small nymph about 15-18” off the back of the sculpin works well too. They may not be on the sculpin but it draws them out and they pick up the nymph pattern.
If your there early July, the salmon fly’s can be good on the upper. You can fish it with 5000 of your not closest friends. Super crowded and the guides are like Keys guides during Tarpon season.
(If you want to fish Salmonfly’s go to the Gunnison in Colorado.)

The lower Madison will be too warm to fish then unless you have a late runoff in July.

Hoppers on the Yellowstone is SO MUCH FUN!!! Do it. You won’t be disappointed. Beautiful float, easy, active fishing, but a float is the only way to truly enjoy this big river. It is beautiful and there are some BIG fish that come up for dries. Try a brownish/yellow hopper that floats low in the water. I even used to tie them with a little lead on the tail so the ass end sunk below the surface.
Running a small parachute as a second fly always draws strike from smaller fish too.

I agree with Steve. The Jefferson is not a productive place unless you have lots of time to waste proving you can catch a fish in every river in the world.

Have an awesome trip.
You’ll love it!!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the excellent information! I have received several DM's with guide info and I will be planning this trip with a couple friends.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,187 Posts
If it’s your first time trout fishing I suggest also finding some time to hit so high elevation tiny creeks that usually hold lots of small fish and can be a fun day, if not interested in bigger fish. Shoot me a text or dm on Instagram and I can give you some more info.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi all,

I was looking for info and suggestions on places to stay close by Bozeman, MT or Fly Guides as I would like to plan a trip around July-September this year. Anyone that has gone and can advise of any tips I would be more than grateful.

Thanks,
Our son lives in Bozeman and heads up the marketing for Yellow Dog Flyfishing Travel. I'll shoot you a PM with his contact info. He knows the area extremely well and can tell you where to fish on your own or hook you up with a guide or lodge.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Our son lives in Bozeman and heads up the marketing for Yellow Dog Flyfishing Travel. I'll shoot you a PM with his contact info. He knows the area extremely well and can tell you where to fish on your own or hook you up with a guide or lodge.
Greg,
Is he looking for an older male assistant to carry his bags, computers, make coffee, etc. ?
I’m married so I have plenty of experience with servitude. And I’m cheap.

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
72 Posts
Tim, you’re next in line behind me! Ive been applying for that job for a couple of years now.
Gregg,
I have housing there. My brother still lives there and we own 30 acres on the pass. Working on the retirement hacienda (a few years off).
Let me know when you’re up there. We should do a float on one of those great rivers. And then sit under the big ol pines and sip whiskey while looking at my dirt pad. Got it all dug out and ready. Just need to fund the house now!!

Reactions: Terry
G

·
0 Posts
I’ll probably be out there in late May and again in September sometime. That would be a lot of fun!

·
Registered
13 Posts
While you’re up there, talk to the guides about driving into Wyoming to fly fish some creeks and rivers. Some of the most beautiful scenery and wildlife is up there and it’s only about an hour or so from Montana. We fished out of Billings, and caught tons of trout. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
While you’re up there, talk to the guides about driving into Wyoming to fly fish some creeks and rivers. Some of the most beautiful scenery and wildlife is up there and it’s only about an hour or so from Montana. We fished out of Billings, and caught tons of trout. Good luck!
The Miracle Mile and Freemont Canyon. I had some of my best days fishing there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You guys need to get out a map and look at where Bozeman is compared to fishing WY. Its not anywhere close to an hour or so except for YNP. And even the Park is a good drive.
Completely different river shed. Long drive. Awesome places to fish, but not from Bozeman.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts