Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to use a 2" stainless steel snap hook at the end of a bow line. What's the best knot to use to secure it? I don't think I can splice a loop because the rope is not stranded. Maybe a bowline? Or a double figure eight?

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,048 Posts
If you use a bowline knot, finish the tag end with an overhand or stopper knot, it can work itself loose when not under load.

·
BBA Counselor
7,234 Posts
I use a snap hook all the time to launch or dock. I am not a fan of a bowline for small loops, great for pilings though. I perfer a figure 8 follow through, or figure 8 on a bight, depending on if the hook has a closed end.
No need to finish it with an over hand knot, the figure 8 is plenty strong. It's the main family of knots we use for rescues and equipment hauling.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,531 Posts
Anchor bend. Like a figure 8 knot but twice through the eye of the snap hook. If you snug it down it won't easily come loose. If you want to be able to easily untie it, bowline.

·
Panhandler
2,727 Posts
I didn't use a knot for mine. Bent the line into a loop and whip finished with parachute rigger's thread (high tensile strength). You could use 65# or heavier braid instead. Whip back and forth multiple times under pressure and tie. I added a piece of heat shrink to finish and cover the wraps and it's very compact. Has held up for years.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I want to use a 2" stainless steel snap hook at the end of a bow line. What's the best knot to use to secure it? I don't think I can splice a loop because the rope is not stranded. Maybe a bowline? Or a double figure eight?
My Home Depot had pre-made “Dock lines” with a loop spliced in....pretty cheap as I recall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts