Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
14,996 Posts
Down here in south Florida... anyone “bowfishing” should be made to say exactly what he or she is going to do with whatever they’ve killed....

To put it mildly, I can’t remember anyone willing to admit they’d done something like that.
Don’t be a snob, I’m pretty sure you are a great guy with a ton of knowledge but this was a pretty stereotypical post. I can be a bit abrasive sometimes but I can also take constructive criticism from the folks on here if they are willing to give it. I could see if the thread title were “Where to Bow Fish and Fill a Dumpster with Dead Fish After I Make a Facebook Hero Shot”...

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
As you easily figured out I don’t approve of killing fish (of any kind)... for fun. I did enough of that back when we killed every big shark we caught “for the taxidermist” when I started out as mate on charter boats in the early seventies (made really good money doing it as well - we all did...). To this day the population of big sharks along the Atlantic side of south Florida has never recovered.

I know that in other places the attitude about bowfishing is different and that’s exactly why I spoke up. I was pretty mild compared to some I know about this sort of stuff. If guys these days had any how hard it was to get tarpon kill tournaments stopped years ago (and that was only one of many fights we got involved in... before the net ban was voted in...).

By the way... we lost most of our conservation battles years ago - but we kept trying.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,289 Posts
I’m not really worried about the abrasive nature of it, what sport is involved with shooting a cow ray from 10’ with a bow! I can pole up to them and almost pick them up. I also fish a lot for gar and carp which are low hanging fruit on the bow fishers totem pole.

Most bowfishers dump their catch when done and it’s wanton waste in my book. Nothing good comes from their charters than some easy money. In the captains pocket.

·
Read Only
37 Posts
What about freshwater? You can bowfish all the giant tilapia, oscar and cichlids you could ever want. Only know of one little pond in my area that holds average size bluegill. If you're bow fishing invasive species, I'm all for it. Side note, I've fried up the tilapia and oscar I've caught by conventional methods, they taste pretty good to be honest.

·
Banned
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys must be a better shot than l am. Running about a 30% success rate. If I threw every stingray that I have ever shot with a bow in a pile ,it would amount to three .I am 56 years old ,ease the hell up. Time on the water yo. Not poppin’ tarpon scales. Not keeping illegal fish. Bought a Lifetime fishing license when I was 16 . Never broke a game law in my life .can anybody on this site say the same ? Moral superiority must be spreading ,watch out! I’m going bowfishing

G

·
Eat your quarry and I don't care what method you use. I gig mullet and flounder for the table, does that make me less of a sportsman or un ethical? I don’t think so. Some of us know that our food doesn’t come on a styrofoam tray at Publix and prefer it that way. Now don’t get me wrong, I also see no reason to keep more than we can eat in one night so I am not for “filling coolers”! A typical day of “meat fishing” for me includes my 5 crab traps and a cast net for shrimping. I’ll set the crab pots out in the morning, go fishing, have some fun & catch some fish. When the sun goes down, we will gig a few mullet/flounder and try to get some shrimp with a dip net if we didn’t cast net any earlier. Then we have a nice “organic” seafood dinner the next day all the while spending quality time with family and friends. I have a feeling @State fish rob does it similar!

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
In general not a fan of bowfishing for sportfish. Especially redfish where we all know what happens to the out of the slot fish they shoot.

Now that said if its legal then I am not going to bust someone's chops for doing something I don't care for. Not sure what "sport' there is in poling up to a ray and shooting it?

·
Rex Kwan Do Dojo
2,733 Posts
Font Auto part
I use this slingbow. Love it, stows easily under the bulkhead. Believe it or not this thing can take down a hog, deer, and turkey (obviously take off the Zebco). That’s one of my good buddies about a month after a knee replacement just taking a practice shot. Can’t tell you how many mullet I’ve given a haircut. Lol. Waiting for a shot at a Cobia...
Fishing Fish Recreation Recreational fishing Sound

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
14,996 Posts
View attachment 72614 I use this slingbow. Love it, stows easily under the bulkhead. Believe it or not this thing can take down a hog, deer, and turkey (obviously take off the Zebco). That’s one of my good buddies about a month after a knee replacement just taking a practice shot. Can’t tell you how many mullet I’ve given a haircut. Lol. Waiting for a shot at a Cobia...
View attachment 72612
You’re gonna get death by burning on a jet ski for that...
I dig it. Life’s too short to cry about everything. I shoot tilapia around here, they are an invasive species so please no one get your panties in a backlash.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.