Bonita Fly???

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Bonecracker, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Roger_Cook

Roger_Cook I Love microskiff.com!

Here's my batch for Cape Lookout and Cape Fear. Not the crab fly.

Fl.jpg

Backwater likes this.
  2. permitchaser

permitchaser I Love Skinny Water

If you use floating line and have a fly with lead eyes or lead wire body then a 9' leader gets you about right. Maybe

3. Backwater

Backwater Fly Fishing Shaman

I just step it up and add a 12" section of bite leader of 30lb fluorocarbon leader material at the end of your tippet. If they get real finicky, you have to drop down to 20lb. But I've had big ones get all stupid on a feeding frenzy and get them on 60lb FC bite leader on my all around offshore rig. The only time I'll put any wire on is if my 30lb FC keeps getting cut by spanish macks or small kings. Then I'll albright a small 3" piece of thin wire at the end of my bite leader (and not the tippet). Been using 12-20lb Kinky2 tieable wire that seems to work good.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 8:31 AM
  4. Backwater

M
    Maybe, unless they drop deeper because of mackerel annoying them. Ideally, if you can get them with a floating line and some crease flies, it's hard to beat seeing them crush those surface flies and sometimes torpedoing out of the water to eat them. For me tho, depending on the bait they are feeding on (like glass minnows or bay anchovies), it's harder to get them to eat a surface fly than a subsurface fly, unless it's something like a thin pencil popper type fly. But if they bunched up a pod of white bait (sardines), then it's "ON" with a crease fly. But if they don't eat them, then a sardine subsurface fly like the one I have above or some sort of deciever pattern or EP minnow should work.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 8:34 AM
  5. trailblazerEXT

trailblazerEXT I Love microskiff.com!

Seems in fly fishing SWFL gulf coast beaches for albies topwater crease flies off the shore do nicely, but when Spanish & other toothy predators eat 30lb & 40lb + fluorocarbon in far less time than it takes to fold & glue foam in a crease fly that knotable wire comes thru.

Backwater likes this.
  6. permitchaser

permitchaser I Love Skinny Water

Years back I was on Raz Reeds boat ( Sage Rep) we where in Hilton Head chasing birds and found a school of little tunny boiling. I had a fly that did not sink fast ( bead chain eyes). Raz had lead dumbbell eyes and he caught a 10 pounder. I took a photo of him and his fish and the photo appeared in some fishing magazine

Backwater likes this.
  7. sidelock

sidelock I Love microskiff.com!

They generally hit from below the bait balls and a fly that sinks below the bait always produces.

Backwater likes this.
  8. Backwater

That's why I'm usually throwing clear intermediate lines and counting it down to allow time to sink before working the fly. I'm usually throwing that setup on a 9wt, which gives me a little more backbone to get them in quicker and also deal with the wind.

But Roger_Cook's post of the plate of crease flies has inspired me to tie some more crease flies up and bring them on a different rod with a floater line to throw at them.

Ted