Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This last week, I found weight of fly (splash down critical) and long leaders important, but not tippet size. Am I missing something?

So, what is the finest tippet do you use? 12lb, 10lb, 8lb?

Sidebar, I was fishing with a 12' leader and playing around with 8, 10, and 12 lb. I could not detect any more refusal or bites :) when using 12 versus 8 (all with Seaguar Blue FC). If this hold true, I prefer to keep to 12lb to bring th fish in faster.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,331 Posts
It really depends on where you fish. But for me, I want that stealth vs enough material there in case it brushes up against something on it's initial several runs. So My go-to tippet is about 30-36" of 12lb fluorocarbon. I want the eat more than I'm worried about it breaking off. Once on, I'll work to keep it from breaking off.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It really depends on where you fish. But for me, I want that stealth vs enough material there in case it brushes up against something on it's initial several runs. So My go-to tippet is about 30-36" of 12lb fluorocarbon. I want the eat more than I'm worried about it breaking off. Once on, I work to keep it from breaking off.
Couldn't have said it better. This is on point.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,331 Posts
We used to use lighter tippet but discovered several years ago that tippet size didn't make any real noticeable difference where we fish so we switched to #18 Grand Max Fluoro. Sharks are a big problem where we fish and with #18 we can stop them and haul them in quick.
A buddy of mine recently told me that he has a bonefish guide in the Keys that he sometimes uses (grumpy but good) that get's on his case for not paying attention to the difference between a bone or a shark and will pack it in and head back to the ramp if he hooks more than 1 shark. That causes him to pay attention and decipher between the 2 before he makes the cast.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
474 Posts
A buddy of mine recently told me that he has a bonefish guide in the Keys that he sometimes uses (grumpy but good) that get's on his case for not paying attention to the difference between a bone or a shark and will pack it in and head back to the ramp if he hooks more than 1 shark. That causes him to pay attention and decipher between the 2 before he makes the cast.
What exactly are you trying to say ? I don't see any relevance in your quote to my post.

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
It's been about nine years or so since I quit guiding Biscayne Bay in the daytime... so this is a bit dated, but my standard tippet for bones was always about three feet of 10lb Ande with an overall leader of about 12 feet.... Remember the average sized bonefish years ago in the Bay was an easy eight pounds - so I never saw the need to go lighter. If I were in one of the many places where bones were less than three pounds - then I might go down to eight pound or less for a tippet....

There really are some very big spooky bones in the Bay - maybe even still today... A big one (over ten pounds) doesn't behave the way smaller ones do. Ones under ten do a great long run - then you start to win... The big ones burn a hundred yards and pause for a moment - then burn a second hundred and you're in real trouble since your line and backing are dragging the bottom at that point.... Great fun years ago - but much, much tougher today -that's why I long ago retreated back to the 'glades...

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,331 Posts
What exactly are you trying to say ? I don't see any relevance in your quote to my post.
Ok, I misread what you said. I thought you were talking about the fly getting eaten by smaller sharks, rather than what you were referring to, which was the getting the bones in quickly so they weren't eaten by the bigger sharks. So "my bad!" :oops:

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,332 Posts
I’d use the heaviest you can get away with. You never know when mr permit or random snook will show up, at least where I fish. I use 12lb in the bay and never had any issues keeping fish away from sharks. Of course you’ll lose fish to rocks every now and then. I’ve noticed that I get more rejections when on the skiff then when wading with the same leader set up. My theory is that fish will sense the boat and be more leader shy. I’ll go down in leader if staying in the skiff for that reason.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,289 Posts
What I'm saying is, basically, taking the time first, before making the cast, to try to identify if it is, in-fact, a bone or a small shark, can make the difference in needing a heavier tippet or being able to get away with a lighter tippet and being cut off. You can check with your guide too to see what he thinks it is before you make the cast, since he'll have a better perspective on what the fish actually is. That can also make you a more appear to be a more seasoned fly fishermen, in the eye of your guide, as far as bonefishing goes. Believe me, we've all been there, especially in the Keys and the Bahamas, with anyone who has fished those waters targeting bones.

because they can be more aggressive than a spooky bone and I'm not interested in getting my fly chewed off anyway.
He isn’t talking about feeding the fly to a shark. He is talking about being able to put more pressure on a fish to save it from a shark.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,331 Posts
He isn’t talking about feeding the fly to a shark. He is talking about being able to put more pressure on a fish to save it from a shark.
Oh ok, I didn't catch that. Sorry, my bad. That's what I get for trying to breeze thru it quickly and then just assume he was talking about the fly getting eaten by the smaller sharks. Ok, I can see what he's saying.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.