Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Really big bonefish don't exactly behave the way smaller ones do.. I've personally had bones over ten pounds chase a SeaBee (early swimming plug - much like today's YoZuri Crystal Minnow- about six inches long..) plug back to my skiff - trying to find a way to eat it at the northern edges of Stiltsville just south of Key Biscayne more than forty years ago now.. I also had a friend get a big one on a Creek Chub Darter down in the Content Keys just north of Key West years ago... If a big bonefish will attack a plug that you'd normally use for snook, tarpon and other species I'm certain a big one will smack a Gurgler in the right size... The problem, and just one of the reasons I quit guiding for bonefish - is the greatly diminished population of bones locally over the years... Back then, before hurricane Andrew in 1992, the average sized bonefish in Biscayne Bay was around 8 lbs...

Love to see what's being used...

·
Registered
62 Posts
There’s a captain in Hawaii that has done it in the Bahamas or maybe Belize. I forget his name, but him and his girlfriend have a pretty large following on Instagram and he’s posted it on there.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,289 Posts
I haven’t used a gurgler, but I have used a small floating crab when I was in Belize and we found a wad of bonefish suspended at the top of the water column on a creek drain. Took a little to figure out how to play it, pretty much fed them like trout in a river.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts