SOLD/EXPIRED Bolt-on Front Decks for Highsider and 13 footers

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by JoeWelbourn, Jun 22, 2007.

1. JoeWelbourn

JoeWelbourn "The Flats Solicitor"

To all the Gheenoe owners that have called, emailed, or private messaged me in the last 36 hours.

I have received many calls, emails, and private messages about my design for a "no fiberglassing, bolt-on front deck". As most know, I have been pretty busy keeping up with the demand for the TillerPillar and finalizing my Carbon Fiber Casting Platform. Not to make excuses, I just have not sat down, called my vendors and crunched the numbers to set a fair price. I did that today (and took my wife to dinner for her birthday ::)). As of 6PM here is my PRELIMINARY pricing for a bolt-on front deck for a Highsider or 13 footer (same dimensions). Obviously, if I can buy materials better I can adjust pricing to your benefit.

Carbon Fiber (clear coat) no hatch, no SeaDek: $429
    Fiberglass (white gel coat) no hatch, no SeaDek: $299

The deck is designed to "butt-up" to the nose cap and extend to the rear of the front bench. I measured 48" and 32" wide at the rear of the bench.

I have not heard back from Seadek or a local hatch manufacturer for their (wholesales pricing), but I feel strongly both of these item should be included in a purchase. I estimate $80 for SeaDek, $50 for a hatch, or $16 for the foam I buy at Lowes (which I love).

I wanted to give all of you some guidelines so for those who placed an order already, use this number and BEFORE I charge you I will give you the best pricing if I get better pricing on materials.

Lastly, I would like to reserve the right to decrease or increase pricing to be fair to all of you and myself.

Joe

2. Lil_Tate

Lil_Tate Well-Known Member

Re: Bolt-on Front Decks for Highsider and 13 foote

where are the pics at, mang?

3. JoeWelbourn

No pictures yet. Just have not got that far yet. Basically I took my full deck and realized I could cut it off at the bench, finish it out and offer to guys looking for an easy solution. The cut-off makes it affordable. If someone wanted a full deck that would be more expensive. Pictures will be coming but about 1 week away. I am awaiting one material necessary to finish the edges nicely. No junkizzle herizzle.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes.

Joe

4. inboardgheenoeguy

inboardgheenoeguy Well-Known Member

hey joe will the deck hold dean last time i saw him he botom out the publix scale the scale at my publix goes to 400 lbs

5. JoeWelbourn

He has already tested my design. At the Bradon event Dean "stress tested my Classic deck to the tune of 450 lbs. Held like a steel trap. Thanks Dean. We would have had to gather up 3 normal drunk Gheenoes to accomplish what you did in one elegant move. I owe ya---all 450 lbs. :eek: :eek:

Joe

Just kidding.

6. Lil_Tate

hold on there. u sre the one that is 5'3" 315...[smiley=finger.gif]
    i am 6'5" and 299, but note I am now on a diet

7. Lil_Tate

damm, I can't catch a break here..........extra shananigans (sp?) will be coming yur way during the rally JoeWlbourn......
    extra shananigans....... [smiley=violent1.gif] [smiley=finger.gif]

8. inboardgheenoeguy

:'( :'( :'(Poor Dean! keep getting his PP slapped around! ;D ;D

9. JoeWelbourn

Dean it was a typo!!! I meant to type 250. :-? ::)

Take it easy over there---simmer down. Think Taj Mahal with twin air Baby.

Hey look at the bright side, If I camp with you guys, ahhh, damn there is no bright side. I detect I will get more ice in my lap when I sleep. This time I will be alarmed with a "Lap Alert" Tasers the first MF to mess with me while sleeping. Just messing with ya.

Sorry Dean, I don't want you to get a complex. Sorry.

Joe

10. inboardgheenoeguy

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( BIG BABY :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

11. Lil_Tate

:thickskin:

and believe me I can dish out more than i can take...

now u two little oompaloompaa's settle down...

12. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

now that's just funny! ;D

13. Lil_Tate

[smiley=thumbup.gif] [smiley=rollinglaugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=finger.gif] [smiley=bootyshake.gif] [smiley=1-lmao.gif] [smiley=1-laugh.gif]

14. inboardgheenoeguy

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa [smiley=finger.gif] [smiley=bootyshake.gif] [smiley=finger.gif] [smiley=bootyshake.gif] [smiley=finger.gif] [smiley=bootyshake.gif]

15. JoeWelbourn

I have discovered an interesting observation. I am finding the hull shape and wide various from boat to boat for Classics, Highsiders and 13 footers. So here is my solution.

The variation I have discovered so far is about 1 inch (slightly narrower or wider at the top of the rubrail near the back of the bow bench (measured starboard to port). So, it order to make a front deck that "bolts-on" with minimal work, and to avoid it not fitting at all by being to narrow, I will offer 2 options.

First option (best option): I will make my "Standard Front Deck" 2 to 3 inches wider than the average width at the rear of the bow bench and sweep the edge down to grab handle. When the deck is centered it will have an overhang of between 1 to 2 inches. To better visualize my thought, think of the bolt-on front deck as adding a "Caroline Flare" to your Gheneoe similar to the upper bow lip of the Egret 16 (www.egretboats.com). I know some guys reverse thier rubrials to get this effect.

I see several advantages:
    1. I can now standardize a batch run and make the more decks in less time, meaning a lower overall price to you guys.
    2. The "Carolina Flare" effect will reduce bow-splashed water from your face and getting into the boat.
    3. It will fit any boat out of the box.
    4. You gain a few extra inches of space.

Second option (more time/cost involved): for those of you that want a deck that matches and follows the width and exact curve or your rubrails, bring your boat to me for a "fitting" basically I will make a templete for your bow that matches your hull shape and wide. The deck will be custom to your boat but take longer to make.

I am making a new deck with the Carolina Flare and photographing it. I should have it posted by next Sunday.

I would like to hear any feedback (good or bad) about "flaring" the deck.

Joe

16. zero_gravity

zero_gravity Well-Known Member

whats on your deck ::)
    [​IMG]
    happy 7/4 joe dont forget the hot dogs ;D[​IMG]

17. JoeWelbourn

Man you guys just aren't right. My image has been permanently scared. :eek: :mad: But, that is pretty funny. ;D It is 5:46 AM I am about to hit the water and I woke my whole house up laughing my ass off.

Got to love the Motley Gheenoe Crew!!!

Has Dean lost any weight yet? :p

Joe

18. inboardgheenoeguy

yup and he found it again!

19. Lil_Tate

I am well on my way to losing a lb or 2. ::)

20. JoeWelbourn

Here is Front Deck production unit #1.  Capt Brian Epperson is getting this one.  He bought my camo Highsider.  This is a front deck for a Highsider paint matched to his rub-rails with anti-skid on the deck surface.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, he lives close to me and I was able to make any exact template of his bow to shape the deck to fit perfectly. It should have fit my 13 footer too, but it did not.  Since I can not always do that for the many people who have PM'd me wanting a front or rear deck, I have made a slightly oversize template that will fit all Highsiders and 13 footers.  I laid the "fitted" deck on top of the "oversized" deck template sitting on the bow of my 13 footer (same as a Highsider bow).  Notice the blue areas extending beyond the green deck.  That is the size difference.  I would like to point out, that slight lip will keep alot of water out of the boat too in a light chop or crossing wakes.

[​IMG]

I welcome any feedback? If the feedback I get is positive or neutral on the oversized deck, I will be able to start building 2-3 front decks and get the back orders caught-up to a 1 week turn around over the next few weeks. If the feedback is negative, I will do what it take to make a deck unique for those people. After seeing in laid-up on a boat, I like to oversize deck.

Joe