Bohemian 17 First Run!

Discussion in 'Big Boat Bragging Spot' started by skinny_water, Sep 7, 2010.

1. skinny_water

skinny_water Well-Known Member

Today I got a chance to run the Bohemian 17 for the first time.  We borrowed a motor.  Wasn’t the best one on the block but it was the best deal for what we needed.  We wanted to see if the hull was going to do anything weird once the power was on it.  It’s really interesting seeing a completely new hull design come onto the market and testing it. 

The motor we got was a 1988 Mariner 60.  It came with the stock aluminum prop 10 ¾ x 15 w/ 0 cup.  It was a mechanical steer so we rigged a side console.  We had 100lbs of sand in the front still where the gas tank would go.  It also had what we needed to make the motor run, batter, 4 gallons of gas.  Also had me and another 200lb person.   It ran ok, but once we started doing speed runs it would over heat and power down.  We didn’t get all the runs in that I wanted but I did get to run it through the paces.  We did get enough runs in to get some stats and a short performance report.

I started out running the boat with me and one other 200lb person.  With no trim tabs on a skiff I was kind of timid about throwing the throttle all the way down.  I trimmed the motor all the way down and rolled onto the throttle.  It popped up on plane with no real issues.  I slowed back down and threw the throttle down and she popped up in a boat length and a half.  Not bad for a stock prop.  This being an older 2 stroke motor it was very happy in the higher RPM’s.  Once up and running I had Dave slide more to the middle of the hull and the boat leveled out nice.  Cruse speed at 3800 to 4200rpm was 25.5 and 29 mph.  Not bad for a 17 ft skiff.  At 5k she was doing 36mph.  That’s amazing because the other skiffs I have been in before maxed out at this speed.  I put the throttle down and trimmed the motor up just a hair.  She gets on the running pad like a dream.  She felt like a ballerina tip toeing on the top of the chop.  Anyone that runs a V bottom boat with a running pad knows what I am talking about.  The prop spun up to 5600 and we got 42.6mph.  There was no hull “sticking” that is typical with flat bottom boats.  You just simply trim it up a hair and you’re on the pad.  The prop was pretty close to where it should be for 2 people.  The problem was when running the boat you would trim up the motor and it would not porpoise.  You could trim the motor all the way up until it completely blew out and you would have to back off the throttle to make it hook up again.

We ran the beach from Longboat Pass to Big Pass.  The boat was great on the beach in the rollers.  It was very predictable in the pass with a strong outgoing tide.  The boat rode the waves like a bay boat, nice and wide.

I had a quick chance to run the boat by myself.  The motor kept on over heating and shutting down.  I went to run it real quick to see if it would do the same for me before I started taking running shots of the boat.  Running the motor by myself it was noticeably different.  The motor wanted to spin right to 6k without hesitation.  This is a good sign the prop was not the right size.  I trimmed it up to make a speed pass and it revved to 6k again.  My GPS did not show that I was going any faster so I trimmed it up a hair and the prop blew out again.  I ran it back to the beach and set up for my shots.

It is a weekday so there was not that much boat traffic.  I ran some figure 8’s to get a feel of the handling.  The boat turned flat and was predictable in the turn.  The hull did not want to skip or spin out.  The air coming from the step hull was not an issue.  The V bottom really holds it in place.

Here are a couple pictures from today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Real pic of the bow flair
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And last, but most important
    [​IMG]

-Richard

2. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

sweet she's really starting to come together keep the info and pics coming

3. shanerain55

shanerain55 I Love microskiff.com!

She is lookng beautiful. I love the lines.

4. Flyline

Flyline Won "Do More With Less" Award!

Looks great! I love how high the skiff is running on top of the water. 42 MPH is not bad at all for old 60 mariner with 2 guys. I'm curious about the 70hp yamaha 2 stroke will push her? Looking forward to see some more!

5. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

Good Buzz on facebook about the test run.....ok, well I liked it.

6. beavis

beavis Well-Known Member

Boat looks like it runs real nice. Great pics showing it.

7. floridanative1028

floridanative1028 I Love microskiff.com!

I'll never be able to afford this boat but I have been looking forward to the test run of this boat more so than the one I just spent 9 months slaving over. That thing looks like it does everything you guys wanted it to and more. I can't wait to see those numbers with a better engine on there.

8. salt_life

salt_life west coast punk!

Boat look really nice in water,and the lines are really crisp. Beautiful!

9. tortuga

tortuga Well-Known Member

Kevin at yellowfin has a 4 blade stainless i am going to try tomorrow. We will see if it does any better, should allow more trim angle since it should have some cup. My buddy is bringing his Guide 18 to meet me tomorrow so we can pole her and get some cool shots.

10. jrod0785

jrod0785 Well-Known Member

Man that thing is sweet!!!!!! That thing does fly with a old motor!!! I cant wait to see it set up with a newer motor. I am digging the lines of this boat too!!! Keep the pictures and updates coming!!!

11. nate.

nate. I Love BEER!

richard, wanna race tomorrow? lol...

12. skinny_water

Ran the boat again today with Capt. Colby Hane. Got some shots with two people running the boat in some chop!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a series of shots in order. 4 consecutive frames!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the most important part of testing. Epic water color too!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And for the people that know where this is....
    [​IMG]

-Richard

13. skinny_water

You gunna bring your egret friend so we can make it a 3 way race? Can you plan on 130-2pm. Joe is going to meet up with us.

14. HialeahAngler

HialeahAngler Well-Known Member

no.

15. oysterbreath

oysterbreath Well-Known Member

The water looks good on her indeed!

16. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Oh come on now? Why was this one put in big boats?

17. nate.

nate. I Love BEER!

i think this boat is one of those that teters on the edge. nice ride. im interested to drive it once its complete. it scoots along real nice with that wore out 60.

18. skinny_water

Thanks Nate. I dunno how it made it down to the bottom. If it teeters on the edge does that mean I can post pics of the Tiller version in the bragging section, and the CC version in the Big Boat section? :D

On a side note, Nate, you look like the guy that owns a Red Ferrari. I saw you driving around twice today on Manatee Ave with that bright blue boat. Looked clean both times... ::)