bobs machine dol fin or cavation plate

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by INSHORE_SLAM1, Jul 1, 2009.

1. INSHORE_SLAM1

INSHORE_SLAM1 I Love microskiff.com!

need to know if it works to put my j16 cs with a merc 30hp 4
    stroke on plane faster and handle better with out losing speed?

2. rkmurphy

rkmurphy Well-Known Member

I've heard Smart Tabs work pretty well. And another forum member on here said the Bob's cav plate worked great.

With that 30 4 stroke you should be getting on plane just fine, depending on your prop. I have a Merc 25 2 stroke on my J16 that's set up very similar to yours minus the poling platform (for now ;D) and, especially if I'm by myself, I get on plane quick. I have a 10 3/8 x 13 Powertech prop.

3. INSHORE_SLAM1

INSHORE_SLAM1 I Love microskiff.com!

i am thinking of calling power tech about a new prop
    i have a merc 3 blade stainless on ther now but i dont think its
    the right one the boat runs 27.5 mph with 2 people but its a pig out of the hole.

4. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

27.5 sounds pretty good ... Change One thing at a time ;-) With the JP and The Foil See how that Goes

Dave

5. rkmurphy

rkmurphy Well-Known Member

Sounds about right. Should maybe be getting 29-30ish. I get 28-29 with 2 people and 31-32 by myself. Maybe faster now with the new prop.

6. Tom_C

Tom_C Well-Known Member

I bought one for my Johnson 25 so I could keep water on my prop as I raised my jack plate, but after I received it I decided not to use it because it just did not fit.
    I didn't like it, because it's designed for larger motors and is CUT DOWN for small motors. On some small motors it fits ok but not all .
    [​IMG]

The mounting holes would be less than 1/8" from the sides of my Johnson 25 cav plate.

[​IMG]

I ended up making my own that I am happy with.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then someone posted a link to this one that I like and is designed for many different motor sizes and makes.

http://www.permatrims.com/

[​IMG]