BOBS LIFT PLATE

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by INSHORE_SLAM1, Jul 1, 2009.

1. INSHORE_SLAM1

INSHORE_SLAM1 I Love microskiff.com!

Will the help my j16 with a merc.30hp 4 stroke get on plane
    and steer better?

2. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

If done right it can help. Especially if the lower unit is way too low. With fixed jack plates and for the boats I run which are a little different that the CS J16, the sweet spot is just high enough to have a little bit of cavitaion while jumping on plane but a good hook up once it reaches WOT.

A jack plate can actually make steering torque worse. With less of the lower unit in the water its harder to compensate for the rotation of the prop. Still a well balanced boat and properly mounted motor can be set up with a jack plate so that their is little torque. For boats with nasty torque problems a Torque Tamer is usually the last resort to fixes the issue.

Good luck!

3. INSHORE_SLAM1

INSHORE_SLAM1 I Love microskiff.com!

thank tom i ordered one of the other toms electric jack plates
    today i have one of bobs manual mini jacks on there now and
    it works okay but someone told to add a dolfin or bobs cavation plate would hep planning faster i dont have a torque
    problem more of a getting on plane the motor is a tiller steer
    with tilt and trim and i have smart tabs sx on the skiff also.