Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The skiff I purchased used came with a Bob's Machine Shop manual jack plate like the one seen here: https://bobsmachine.com/product/convertable-mj5-2-5-or-5-setback-manual-jack-plate-200-hp-max/

I sort of get the concept of how to raise/lower the height, but if someone could give me a better understanding of the process, any precautions, necessary equipment (besides wrenches?), I'd greatly appreciate it. My anti-ventilation plate is a little lower than the top of my pocket tunnel and the motor needs to come up. Looking forward to some increased rpm's and speed! Thanks!

B

·
0 Posts
Just loosen the bolts on the side and use the adjusters to raise. An engine hoist can help with the lifting if you have one. Just pump the jack, adjust the nuts, repeat.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,078 Posts
Just loosen the bolts on the side and use the adjusters to raise. An engine hoist can help with the lifting if you have one. Just pump the jack, adjust the nuts, repeat.
Or a floor jack and 2x4 cradle works and most people have these handy. A front end loader works for me.

B

·
0 Posts
Or a floor jack and 2x4 cradle works and most people have these handy. A front end loader works for me.
Right on! I am just careful about recommending my own ******* ways, a city slicker might drop a motor on his tow or tractor bucket on his boat and try ro blame me! LMAO!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So just to be clear, the bolts on the side need to be loosened to allow the plate to slide up/down. Will the loosening/tightening the nuts on the vertical bolts "push" the jackplate up? The jack will just take the weight of the motor off of those threads somewhat and allow the movement to be easier, correct?

Attachments

B

·
0 Posts
If I’m understanding you correctly, yes. The jack will just take load off the adjusters while you adjust.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again. Took a whack at it today and it functioned how you said it should. Only problem I ran across was some gunk/corrosion/??? in the hole for the right side adjuster, so it wouldn't move up. Soaking in PB blaster overnight and doing some extra curls in preparation for round 2.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts