Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a new reservoir and metal mounting bracket for my Bob's Action jack plate motor that is mounted inside my starboard hatch, aft. The previous owner's mounting failed and the pump fell onto the floor of the hatch. I disconnected all wires and hydraulic lines, removed the pump assembly, cleaned up all the wiring, put on new heat shrink connectors, dumped the old fluid that had crap floating in it, installed the new reservoir, and filled it with new oil. (Bob's uses 20W20 oil in the factory, so I bought that from them too.)
Now that I am reinstalled in the hatch, what do I need to do with the hydraulic lines? I tried simply reconnecting them but the motor just spins with the "Up" switch depressed, the plate doesn't move, and the motor doesn't sound normal. The "Down" switch does nothing (no sound); the green wire is properly connected and that solenoid was functioning properly even after the mounting failure. Do I need to prime the system/bleed the lines? How do I do it? The system is acting like it is unpressurized. I have an older motor with older solenoids on this Action plate with a 60 Merc. My internet search did not come up with a solution, though I found general discussion on bleeding hydraulic lines (but not any instructions or manuals for my Bob's). Also, the Bob's YouTube videos don't address it, and the site has no manuals that I could find. I don't have any original papers on it, as I am not the original owner.
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
537 Posts
The down switch not making any noise is having me think it is something electrical. Take a close look at your connections and verify it is corrected properly and all solenoids are working.

After that I would work on getting the air out of the lines and make sure no fluid is leaking.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The down switch not making any noise is having me think it is something electrical. Take a close look at your connections and verify it is corrected properly and all solenoids are working.

After that I would work on getting the air out of the lines and make sure no fluid is leaking.
Thanks. I am headed home from the store with two new solenoids. I'll let you know...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts